Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Optocoupler circuit? - Adding flipper contactors

punter1

Hi,

I have a hyperpin cabinet in the works and I want to add some basic force feedback, the flippers, to start off with. I have been reading up on adding contactors withou investing in the ledwiz yet. I have the diagram for hooking up the contactor to the flipper button and i-pac, but I am interested in adding the optocoupler circuit.

Does anyone have a parts list and schematic? I see it involves a CNY 17-4 optocoupler but I am not clear on the protection diode or led. What part number for the diode and is the led really needed?

Thanks

Well after doing some more reading, it looks like I just need

- 24v (or 12v) contactor

- flyback diode (1N4007) across A1+ and A2- (http://www.sindono.com/project-pinball-installing-flyback-diodes/)

- Optocoupler (CNY 17) to isolate powersupply for contactor from the i-pac ( http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=655)

- 2.2K resistor

- LED

[Edit: Based on discussion added the LED and 2.2k resistor (resistor is req'd - without it, you can damage the optocoupler]

for each flipper.

If anyone could confirm this, it would be much appreciated.

You rang ?? :)

Punter has basically all the info that you need there with Wolfsoft's schematics to either use Wolf's premade boards or make your own.

The LED and resistor that Wolf is using in his circuit is to drop the voltage to a safe level from the flipper switch to the opto-coupler.

Did you want a Viso diagram or something to make it a little clearer?

You rang ?? :)

Punter has basically all the info that you need there with Wolfsoft's schematics to either use Wolf's premade boards or make your own.

The LED and resistor that Wolf is using in his circuit is to drop the voltage to a safe level from the flipper switch to the opto-coupler.

Did you want a Viso diagram or something to make it a little clearer?

Yes the clearer the better please, have to admit that I only had a quick glance at wolf sketch.

• 4 months later...

While I'm thinking or it, is there any reason we couldn't use solid state relays for this as well? I don't know if they are optical or not, but they do isolate the two circuits and are fast unlike mechanical contactors?

Thanks

Archived