Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Control mapping not working

djdaveoc

I reinstalled both RetroArch and Hyperspin tonight and can open games and play them.  However what I did before to get the controller working isn't working now.  I press the select (left-facing arrow) button on the Shield TV controller from within the NES game.  I'm using the Nestopia core.  I go to the place to remap your controller and change the "B" button for the NES pad to be the "X" button on the Shield controller which is called the "Retropad" here.

I leave the "A" button for the NES controller on the "A" button for the Shield controller.  I resume the game and the controls are still the same.  The "A" button for the NES pad which should be the jump action in Castlevania for example is on the "Y" button of the controller.  The "B" button which should be the whip/attack option in Castlevania is on button "B" on the controller.  Again I've changed these in the menu but the changes I've made are not reflected in-game.  I want the mapping of the "A" and "B" buttons for the NES to be system wide.  Anyone know what's wrong or how I can fix this?  If you do help please give exact/detailed/step-by-step instructions.  Vague or general help for RetroArch isn't helpful because this is the most horribly designed, non-intuitive software I've ever seen.  Feel free to give instructions as if you're writing them for a 2nd grader who's never used Hyperspin or RetroArch before.  Maybe then they will be useful for those coming here for help.  Thank you in advance for anyone who takes the time to help.  I think I've almost got this working the way I want.  At least for the NES systems.  Then I'll get the other systems working.  When I'm done I plan to write out a good tutorial and submit it on the website.  Hopefully whatever I learn can help others.

I have defined my buttons.  I have the B button for the NES pad set to X on my Shield TV controller.  However it's not reflected when I actually play a game.  I resume after making sure the settings are still there and even though I have the B button mapped to X and the A button mapped to A, the buttons I have to press to actually play a NES game are the Y and B buttons on the Shield TV controller.  Any idea how I can fix this?  So weird.

Archived