Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

HS Android crashes on launch, no error message

gypsyshred

I have the Shield handheld, and just found out about the android port. I was stoked to try it, set everything up as the tutorials recommended (as far as I can tell at least), and I can't get the app to launch. From googling around, it seems people with the folders set up at least get an error message, and no one seems to get a crash at launch. 

What should I be doing to fix this? 

Uninstall the app, and reinstall it. And then move your Hyperspin folder to a sub folder in your device just to see if you get a toast (pop up warning) saying not found. If you do get the warning then move your Hyperspin folder back to the Root menu of your device and try loading it again.

Does your data work well on PC?   If so, I'd start narrowing the scope of the issue.  

If it's not launching at all, then check a few of these things:

- ensure at least one override video is in /media/frontend/video/override/

- reduce the number of wheels as a way of identifying the one that could be an issue

- check the Android logs with ADB and LOGCAT

OK here's what I have...

*My assets work fine on PC

*I set up a fresh installation, reduced down to SNES, NES, and Gens wheels.

*If this helps, I tried launching before any steps, and it crashes on my device before I even moved assets to it. I've never gotten a different result, nor have I ever gotten an error message. That might be something to look into, error messages to let newbs know what the broke when setting it up. 

*Def did not have a video in the override folder. Added it, same issue.

*Did some googling, LOGCAT seems over my head so far. Can you link me to an idiot proof step by step? An error log does sound like the next thing to check. 

I don't own a Shield handheld, but I have the Shield TV and a Nexus 9, and both come up with the message seen below if I don't have any files. Where did you get the Hyperspin apk and what version of Android are you running???

post-66959-0-19764000-1458031514_thumb.png

Yeah that makes sense. I see some apps to capture logs on the play store, but they don't seem to work. Catlog gives me an empty log, and Syslog gives me an error about not having access to the root. How do I assign the appropriate permissions? 

Sorry if these are dumb questions, aside from my Shield I rarely use Android.

Edit: no anti-virus, I haven't really installed much on it, just a couple of games. I checked the app manager, I didn't see one in there.  

• 3 years later...
On 3/15/2016 at 4:45 AM, Sting said:

I don't own a Shield handheld, but I have the Shield TV and a Nexus 9, and both come up with the message seen below if I don't have any files. Where did you get the Hyperspin apk and what version of Android are you running???

post-66959-0-19764000-1458031514_thumb.png

Is this still supposed to popup with the latest version of Android on ShieldTV and Hyperspin? Mines at 0.1.8. I installed fresh, changed the name of my directory to "Hyperspin_bak" as a test and I'm not getting a popup, it just seems to be crashing when I first try and load it.

Archived