Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

First Cab Build - Star Blazers Theme!

njgsx96

I guess this had been a long time coming. I always loved going to the arcade or playing video games on my PC or consoles. Every once in a while I would update my MAME to the latest build, would play for a few minutes and then forget about them. Well recently I have raided my parent's attic and found our NES, TG16, and Genesis with all of the games, still in the original boxes. Got to talking about it with a friend at work who is into gaming and somehow got the bright idea that I was going to build an arcade cabinet to compliment my new-found/old collection. He tried to talk me out of it, saying it was tough and that I would start it all psyched and then enthusiasm would wane. I am glad I did not listen to him. In a day I got the basic shape and control panel cut out and assembled with the monitor mounted.

post-87448-142870599211_thumb.jpg

During the next week I tweaked it some, added the drawer, computer and speakers and painted it black.

post-87448-142870599217_thumb.jpg

And then once it was done, I needed a theme but I couldn't settle on a game or design. So I decided for the next best thing... my favorite childhood cartoon (I may have just shown my age on that!). It was difficult finding good quality pictures but did find some. got them printed and now I have my first complete cab with Star Blazers theme!

post-87448-142870599456_thumb.jpg

Let me rephrase that... not exactly complete, but almost since it is never truly complete! :) So far I have a few emulators working on it but mainly it is used for MAME. I would love to get the old Atari emulators working and some of the others working better... not sure why I can't figure it out, but once I get some time I will.

I enjoyed the whole build so much so that I think a pinball is next. I would also like to put together a 4 player (even though I don't know 4 people who would want to play!) and maybe a bar-cade as well for a semi-portable arcade. We'll see though. I am taking at least the rest of the year off to enjoy this one for now.

Some take-aways... expect it to come out how you want it to be and nothing less. I had low expectations as my woodworking skills are bad so I was not picky on the materials. because of that, I have a slight warp in some of the wood. Next time I would splurge on furniture grade. Also, 3/4" wood is heavy. Do the build not far from the resting place and plan ahead if stairs are involved and also take the time to install hideaway casters... I didn't and it sucks to move. Take your time, enjoy the build and then enjoy playing it!

And finally, I would like your opinion. As I mentioned, it was hard finding good artwork to use of everything, the marquee being the most difficult. I loved one design but it was a little blurry so I had a second made and like it but I wish the first choice was better. however, attached to the machine, I am not sure which I like more as the blurry one looks good to me (and better in pictures for some dumb reason). So I am asking you guys, the arcade/hyperspin experts, which do you prefer?

post-87448-142870599462_thumb.jpg

Let's see what you guys think! Thanks for this fantastic board and community! Thanks for reading and thanks for your opinions!

Rich

post-87448-142870599201_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599207_thumb.jpg

post-87448-14287059921_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599213_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599215_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599219_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599221_thumb.jpg

post-87448-142870599459_thumb.jpg

Thanks! As much as I would LOVE to build a virtual pinball, my budget and time just isn't there at the moment. I think my next project is going to be a bartop. Something about being able to pick it up and go anywhere... have arcade, will travel. First and foremost I have to settle on the joysticks for this one. I have just your basic universal sticks but the actuator was too narrow making diagonals near impossible. I tried Sumietsi joysticks but something about them bothers me. My buddy has an iL/Happ with the white square actuator I like so what I did was I had a friend with a machine shop make new actuators, just larger and also a second set that was square. Needs a little tweaking but I almost got it... I think.

This cab design I based off of a site I saw online. Contacted the guy and he was psyched someone used his design and was very cool. The wood is 3/4" plywood. Nothing fancy. It took me a day to cut out the frame. Another day to cut and assemble the cabinet door, keyboard drawer and monitor mount. Basically a weekend. During the next week I played with button layout and painted the cabinet black. The following weekend I cut the plexiglass for the monitor bezel, assembled and fitted the control panel and made some final touches. So basically 10 days is what it took (2 weekends) to go from nothing to something. Graphics I just recently had done at a local sign shop. I had worked on Hyperspin for about 3 weeks prior, getting the videos, games, configuring emulators, testing etc., and then finished it up halfway through assembly. I still make tweaks here and there and that will probably always be.

Had a blast doing it and can't wait to build the next one!

Archived