Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

4K UHD display as a playfield - alternatives 39 and 50 inches

Kori2

Hi!

What do you think, would it be a good idea to employ a UHD display (3840 x 2160)

as a playfield? The Seiko-brand ones are relatively cheap now.

To me there are only two alternatives in UHD: 39- and 50-inches.

I guess the 50-inch one would be too big, but how would a 39-inch screen fit into

a standard Williams' cabinet?

What do you think about the idea of using a 4K UHD-display? Could its potential

be utilized? How would the 120 HZ one work with BAM?

Thanks for comments!

50" is too large for a standard width cabinet. Given the size of a 39" screen and viewing distances involved I don't know that UHD delivers a big improvement over HD. I don't know about FP but max resolution that the user can choose for VP is HD. Not saying that the software and the picture quality of graphic sources will not catch up in a couple of years or so, but RIGHT NOW, I'd say the money would be better spent on other aspects of the build: flashers, toys, etc.

I've seen a sony 4k tv that up converts an HD picture to a 4k one. But this processing would probably delay the picture, so you would loose performance for an improved picture. I think because of the relative closeness you will be to the screen, a 4k tv would be amazing, but untill the resolution is added to the software, I'd be hesadant toward getting one.

Not to say you shouldn't. A 4k tv will be future proofing your cabinet, and you may be more happy with it in the long run. (It would look outstanding)

I think a 39" would fit nicely in a standard cabinet for its width. But the cabinet would have to be stubby in length. Unless you have a large bezel around it.

I wonder would the solution be to get a Pinball2000 cabinet for the 39-inch screen? The Seiko-ones are just so

ridiculously cheap that basically one can get a UHD for the price of a regular LED-TV (but the Seiko does only

have "regular HDMI":s and no 3D etc. - it is a stripped down version, but that does not hurt, if its for a virtual

pinball use). Too bad that they have to bought from USA, so one needs to have a power-converter in EU.

On the other hand, with a 50-inch screen and custom cabinet, one could play Hercules and Paragon in their

true dimensions I guess ;)

Just checked and it would be quite difficult/expensive to get siderails, lockdown bar+receiver, legs for a Pinball2000 system...

I see that some guys here have built standard cabinet with a 39-inch screen. I have to check the pictures, does it look unnatural

to have "only a 39-inch screen" in a standard Williams cabinet.

Pinball2000 (or its style) would fit my purposes nicely. But the problem is the procurement of the parts I guess.

I remember once discussing with Mameman the shipping costs to Finland vis a vis a WMS cabinet and they were

prohibitive. I wonder if there is place that would sell Pinball2000 the cabinet (or the same style) +backbox and

the metallic parts (lockbar, legs, siderails etc) and ship them to EU and all this with reasonable shipping costs?

Any tips are welcome :)

Sorry. I'm in the US, so I don't know about EU providers. Of course, there are US suppliers who have great reputations and who ship internationally.

VirtuaPin.net directly serves the virtual pinball community. They provide builder kits that have everything you need to construct a cabinet yourself, a cabinet hardware kit that includes legs, side rails, etc., a button kit for all your inputs, lockdown bars, cabinet flat packs, etc. It is a one stop shop and very convenient.

I think VirtuaPin sources their parts from Pinball Life. There might be a bit of a price break to buy the component parts from Pinball Life that make up the kits sold by VirtuaPin. They are all the same parts. The owner, Terry, is pretty responsive to email.

Another source I like is The Pinball Resource. They are licensed factory producers of a lot of old parts. A supplier to the suppliers, you could say. So they tend to have the best prices on most items. They have a website, but the deal is that they do not have an online ordering system. You have to call them and tell them what you need. The owner says that he has around some two million parts, so not everything is listed on the website. They sent me about $70 worth of parts on my first order without requiring any sort of payment up front. I simply sent them back a check when the parts arrived. Now that is doing business the real old fashioned way! I imagine this would work differently for an international order.

Shakenbake built my Pinball2000 machine, but mameman (Greg) did supply the cabinet that was used in the design. He also designed and cut for me a couple of custom toppers. If you can manage the shipping, I think you will be very satisfied. It's good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VirtuaPin.net directly serves the virtual pinball community. They provide builder kits that have everything you need to construct a cabinet yourself, a cabinet hardware kit that includes legs, side rails, etc., a button kit for all your inputs, lockdown bars, cabinet flat packs, etc. It is a one stop shop and very convenient.

I think VirtuaPin sources their parts from Pinball Life. There might be a bit of a price break to buy the component parts from Pinball Life that make up the kits sold by VirtuaPin. They are all the same parts. The owner, Terry, is pretty responsive to email.

Another source I like is The Pinball Resource. They are licensed factory producers of a lot of old parts. A supplier to the suppliers, you could say. So they tend to have the best prices on most items. They have a website, but the deal is that they do not have an online ordering system. You have to call them and tell them what you need. The owner says that he has around some two million parts, so not everything is listed on the website. They sent me about $70 worth of parts on my first order without requiring any sort of payment up front. I simply sent them back a check when the parts arrived. Now that is doing business the real old fashioned way! I imagine this would work differently for an international order.

I have ordered from all three of these company's. Virtuapin for their plunger kit and some cabinet parts. Pinball life for pinball stuff; they have amost everything. And Steve Young's pinball resource has everything Gottlieb there is available, plus more.

All three were great to deal with. Steve took a cheque in the mail from me (in Canada) too, that's just the way he does business.

Try your local pinball shops first, they may seem a bit more expensive, but with taxes and shipping, the US is mostly too damn expensive.

example: i ordered a ledwiz, this 45 dollar device cost me: 45 + 18 shipping + 9.45 sales tax + 17.90 customs fee = 90.45 dollar

You could also place an ad for "empty p2000 cabinet wanted"....

Also: 4k is going to happen sooner or later. 4k computer monitors can already run at 60hz via dual-hdmi trickery, but for TV's i guess we are going to have to wait for a new hdmi standard.

Some VP tables already have playfield images in approx 4k resolutions, like stargate i believe. Seemed foolish only a year or so ago.....

Just saying that you can buy a UHD TV today for "future proofing" or wait a couple of years and buy a UHD that is cheaper and with better technology than the one you buy today and can't really use now to its full capabilities. I'd spend that extra money on some other part of the build.

Of course, the software may catch up pretty quickly to the hardware with Pro Pinball, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived