The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Convert cabinet into slim

wazp

Hi!

I am dying to build my get my own arcade machine, but pretty much born with two left hands (give me something to code instead of nail. or screw. man, that sounds dirty) so I'm thinking of buying an old cabinet to host my setup, and just make a new control panel for it.

Thing is, I want a more slim cabinet, depth wise. My basement would look awfully strange with something coming out so far from the wall, with our current computer setup etc in there. Question is, would I be able to convert a cabinet into a slim variant somehow? Me with my limited knowledge envision going wild with a saw and just cut it, but I would imagine that would mess quite much with stability and the balance of it. I don't want to risk it tipping over the kiddies, of course!

Have anyone any experience with this at all? Am I better off wasting board after board of MDF trying to make my own from start? That would also mean no game no play for quite some time, hehe.

Thanks in advance!

that's a cool cab for sure! and yeah, maybe it would be best to just get a massive amount of MDF and just build, mess it up, rebuild etc until I have something that I can call my own.

thanks for the link!

Inches? Damn Imperial users. Learn the decimal system.

You will find countless tutorials and designs all over the net.

If you want cheap ways of doing stuff have a look at the BYOAC forums. If you need button and joystick layouts and info goto SlagCoin and you will find more info about angles and stuff.

And as I have recommended to many people. Build a rough out of cardboard so you can test things like height and how the CP feels at different angles. You have to also consider what happens if you sit in a bar stool rather than stand in front of it.

Also a lot of people don't know about different designs like the Viewlix cabs. Research what you really like the look of then go hunting info. Please note that Viewlix cabs are gorgeous to look at but they are a lot of work to get the paint looking that good. :)

Also on this forum you will find a stickies post about artwork decal printing that has many recommendations. Just FYI.

Oh and my last tirade.

Ultimarc.com

If you want great stuff direct from the source go talk to Andy. One of the reasons I'm going for UltraStik 360's is they are a USB joystick and therefore unless required they do not need to send a keyboard command so this frees up multiple "keys" on the iPac encoder and limits keyboard ghosting. :)

Sorry. I may be freaking you out now. This is what happens to a man when he spends over a year researching stuff then has all his play money stolen by his wife and now has to wait till July for more play money to arrive. I've researched this so much. In fact a rotary mod with a possible RGB options is being designed for the UltraStiks. Can't wait.

actually I'm originally from Sweden, so hell yeah, metric all the way :)

thank you for all the tips! this is truly an amazing community, and I can't wait to be more part of it with my own arcade later on! :)

Archived