The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Need help with cocktail cpu

MontyQ

Ok I have some parts and getting ready to make a cocktail cab since I never have done one yet.

Question is I well be using the awesome vertical hyperspin setup jeepguy made and only that's so nothing but old mame games.

Do I

1. Use a cheap pentium haswell and intergraded graphics (not sure if there is still issues with videos in hyperspin with this option tho

or

2. Go with a AMD APU on a budget here so say a A6-5600k so this would be abit more in cost but has cpu/gpu on the chip

which is best for a good cocktail only build ?

BTW I never never built AMD pc, always intel many of them but I am sure its the same thing right ?

Cheers

Intel, AMD.. it don't matter. But what does matter is whether you going run more than 8 bit verticals, like some of the raidens, taito type X, any future 3D game or shmups. If you do choose to do that, a decent cpu and gpu is a must. I never used an APU or an haswell (both have gpu on die) in a mame setup before, so some one else might want to chime in on that. I don't think there will be a problem tho. Jeepguy/Sorph themes are nice.

If you just gonna do older mame.. I did that before with just an older pentium 4 and on-board graphics.

Intel, AMD.. it don't matter. But what does matter is whether you going run more than 8 bit verticals, like some of the raidens, taito type X, any future 3D game or shmups. If you do choose to do that, a decent cpu and gpu is a must. I never used an APU or an haswell (both have gpu on die) in a mame setup before, so some one else might want to chime in on that. I don't think there will be a problem tho. Jeepguy/Sorph themes are nice.

If you just gonna do older mame.. I did that before with just an older pentium 4 and on-board graphics.

Thanks for the tips and since I already have a full hyperspin Nintendo cab, I think for cocktail I'll go with the AMD APU as has both cpu and the onboard gpu out ranks intels. I can get a A6-5400k for like $60 so should be good...I'll post pics when I do it all.

cheers

Another thing, I think that all older mame vertical games, themes, and videos came to less than 2GB's, so that kinda tells you what kind of power you gonna need..not much. I remember a setup where I had everything running off an 4GB thumb drive, including the OS.

Sent from HTC One MAX via Tapatalk

Archived