Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Astro City Cabinet restoration.

bigsexyc420

Ok, so I got one!

Had this posted in another forum, but I figured since it was going to be housing Hyperspin I might as well post it up here as well.

Astro City Shell, in excellent condition only real problem is how dirty this thing is. Nothing a little TLC and soap wont fix.

Cab came with everything bezels, new set of locks and 2 keys, all the stickers were still in place, monitor mounts not that many dings in the cab either.

Control Panel

DSC01440.jpg

DSC01443.jpg

Monitor Bezel

DSC01444.jpg

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

Main Cabinet Housing

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01452.jpg

Pics of the Stickers on the back

DSC01455.jpg

CoinDoor/Control Panel piece

DSC01456.jpg

DSC01457.jpg

Shortly after the pics were taken, shes been fully stripped of of all the parts and pieces.

I've removed all the stickers, given her a power wash to remove all the nastiness it has collected over the years.

I have fully sanded it down, given it a primer and 2 coats of autobody paint.

Then a nice thick layer of clear.

Im in the process of just wetsanding it smooth (by hand) which is taking forever.

I plan on throwing in a Hyperspin PC to mainly be using MAME and nullDC. Still browsing around for options on what parts for the PC and what kind of monitor is going in her.

My cam is currently out of commision so no pics since the ones taken above.

Feel free to make any suggestions to help out with this project.

If you don't have a PC yet, a nice dual core ~2.8 or better should do just fine. 8800 or 9800 vid card and she'll handle most of nullDC.

Thanks for the advice, I find that the hardest part on this project is trying to come up with PC specs.

Know if those cards can handle Atomiswave and Naomi emualtion as well?

Got some pics of a Control Panel that I have restored prior to the cab.

Before pics.

DSC01354.jpg

DSC01355.jpg

DSC01356.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

Pics of after the initial washing. Used scrubby sponge and some dawn.

DSC01368.jpg

DSC01369.jpg

DSC01377.jpg

DSC01379.jpg

After it got it's bath, there were still some stains left on the plastic. No matter how hard i scrubbed or even sanded it, they stayed on. So i just ended up giving it a nice new coat of white paint. I used plastic paint for the first couple of coats.

DSC01384.jpg

DSC01382.jpg

For the final coats of color I used Duplicolor Autobody paint topped with Duplicolor Clear Coat for some protection.

(I had extra purple and red buttons at the time so I threw em in just to see what they look like. I'm planning on putting the traditional green and pink setup when my cab is fully finished.)

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01407.jpg

DSC01412.jpg

DSC01410.jpg

Some pics where I tried to capture the mirror effect that I got using the clear coat.

DSC01415.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01417.jpg

I hope my craftsmanship is up to par. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

HAHA! you know of that guy too. Yeah I got a good deal on it since it was just a shell. I feel really bad for the others who have had to deal with that guy..

IMO, I feel it was a good deal since it had no dents cracks or anything too bad that washing and painting wouldnt fix.

Sorry for the lack of updates as I am working at a new job and have very little time to invest in this project ATM.

But its current state is, all painted and clear coated. Just need to get around and doing the wetsanding. Of course it can only be done by hand and that will take days. I'm at 80% complete with the wetsanding of the bottom panel where all the doors go.

Don't wanna post any pics just yet.

• 5 years later...

Archived