The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Building my first cabinet

madrtr

Hi everyone,

I'm Matt from Australia. Currently I have an old PC that I dont use anymore, what better way to re-use it than to build my own Arcade cabinet!

I'm pretty good with wood work etc, and the wiring of the buttons etc wont be a problem, just had a few questions for those currently who have built their own machine using PC parts. Later on once the cabinet is built, I will more than likely have questions about the software etc, but I think most of that is covered in other threads on here.

Just a couple of questions I have to start with, particularly regarding the hardware. The PC specs that I wish to use:

3.2ghz amd dual core

8gb ram

nvidia 560gtx GPU 1gb

1tb WD hard drive

21" LG LCD (LED backlit) monitor

Can anyone advise me on those specs and if they are more than enough to run most of the games at decent FPS and quality?

Is it worth updating to an SSD? I have an Intel 128gb SSD lying around that I could use instead.

Do I need a bigger monitor? or any advise on the monitor at all?

Cheers in advance for the help guys.

You will be fine with those specs. I am only running MAME, MESS, and Virtual Pinball on my cab's PC and everything runs great. A couple of 3D type games like TEKKAN2 require 1 frame skip setting in MAME. You have a large graphics card, so this should not be an issue.

My config:

Pentium D 3.4 GHz

1 GB RAM

Radeon 128MB Video Card

100 GB HD

Windows XP Pro(Most startup/services disabled)

21" LCD

Thanks heaps for the replies guys, that gives me a lot of reassurance. Ive been looking at a number of plans to build the cabinet around on the net, One of the best set of plans i have found so far is the Project MAME http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/draw.htm Does anyone have any other suggestions for plans?

I have seen flat pack units from http://www.arcadeworx.com.au these units are around $480 for a 2 x player setup (which is what i think i will run with for my first build) however i want to try and attempt it myself first.

The hardest part will be routing the cuts for the T-mold, as i haven't done anything like that before, but i have a mate who is a carpenter who could help me when I get to that stage.

Graphic design wise, im thinking of going a Transformer G1 design, or something that is just as cool, giving it an 80's feel.

check this site out, i dont know where theyre located but their prices are pretty damn decent. http://www.arcadeshop.com/cabinets/cabinets.htm

I'd suggest these guys if possible. Not the project Mame place.

I could also design and plan out something for you, building it yourself isn't hard. Just point me in the right direction.

Alternatively, Aussie has a *lot* of old cabinets that can be refurbished.

In fact I recommend getting an old cab to muck about with first.

Get a feel for it, try a few games and see what you want to do.

Do you want a big bulky all in one control panel?

What sort of games do you want on it?

An example is my old Vulgus cab. I converted that to 4:3 19" lcd, and it's one player only, or two players alternating.

Controls from left to right are 8way stick, button 1 and 2, 4way in the center, button 1, 2, 3 and a trackball.

This works perfect for trackball and spinner games, pacman style or 4way.

And the 8way for 3 button or less, fighters, shooters, platformers etc.

Then I also have a cab which has the typical 2 joysticks and 6 buttons per player. Great for beat'em'ups and everything in between. No other controls on that.

Another thing to try is grab romlister, and see which games use which controls.

Also, draw out control panel layouts on paper, do the ones you like, to full scale and move your hands around them.

Above all, once you have chosen your path, create a plan, and keep planning your plans! Plan plan plan, play!

Good luck! Feel free to message me for cab plans.

Sent from my LT26w using Tapatalk

Cheers for those replies guys. Ive been looking for an old cab to play around with first, there is a couple on ebay etc but around the $200 mark....

I might head down and grab a couple of sheets of mdf 2440 x 1220 x 16mm and cut up a design I have planned.

A few places with t molding use 18mm on 16mm board is tbis correct or should I find the same size t molding so there isnt 2mm overhang?

tapping it in with my s4

Archived