The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Trackballs instead of light guns?

Hi all. In need of some advice. I'm building a 4 player pedestal arcade..

Players 1&2 6 button and players 3&4 4 buttons etc. I thought of adding also 2 light guns to play games like operation wolf, t2 arcade game etc. I'm just wondering am I better off just having 2 trackballs instead of guns? I've read they can be temperamental and its added expense if I already install 1 trackball, shall,I just add another for player 2 and use them to play (crosshair) gun games? Obviously I won't be able to play house of the dead etc. I'm just playing older stuff.

I wasn't originally going to bother with a trackball at all but I've got quite a few games on there like arkanoid etc... That is if a trackball is ok for these?

Or... Is it possible to just use joysticks to playe anything? Can they be configured to play gun games and spinner/trackball games? I know it can be a pain in the arse to set up joystick to play paperboy!

Thanks for reading, much appreciated.

Yes, a trackball will work, although its not as fun or the same as an actual gun. I have two aimtrak light guns installed on my arcade. They really aren't that hard to setup if you know rocketlauncher well.

I will say they are not the same as an actual light gun and the aim is a bit off even after calibration. But once you get used to them them work great. The games I currently have working with them are Duck hunt, area 51, operation wolf, jurassic park, jurassic world, house of the dead 2 and 3, maximum force, police trainer, egg venture, point blank, deer hunter, turkey hunter, time crisis,T2. I'm sure i forgot a few in there somewhere. I would start out buying one gun then add another if you like it. I started out with one but everyone liked it so much I had to get the 2nd so we could play at the same time. I bought the second aimtrak with the recoil added, I'm not that impresses and its really loud. it adds almost another $50 to the price and its not really worth it.

Archived