The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Hyper Surfer- First Hyperspin Cab Built

urk

I'm finally taking the dive and building a MAME cabinet. That's when I stumbled upon Hyperspin front end and there's been no turning back.

I've always been a big fan of Marvel's Silver Surfer so this cab will be an homage to Norrin and his "creator" Galactus along with Surfer's two nemesis' Thanos and Mephisto.

Jan 18, 2014 - picked up Silver Strike arcade cabinet. Monitor was shot and was removed from the guy I bought it from. I'll reuse some of the buttons and the trackball. Plenty of control panel space and room inside but it is a beast to move around. Here's how it sat on Day 1. Two person setup planned with 6 buttons per person.

Jan 25, 2014 - got the cabinet cleaned up and the rest of the internals removed. I used about a half a can of Goof-Off to get the control panel graphics cleaned off.

Jan 29, 2014 - picked up a used Dell Optiplex 760 at a local university surplus sale for $50. Threw in a 1TB HD and a Radeon 5450 1GB video card. Picked up a Dell 27" LED for the main monitor off of craigslist. So far I've Hyperspin working with MAME and a couple of roms. Emumovies are downloaded and installed. Very happy with the look. Installed the Marvel Superheroes MAME theme which just happens to use Thanos for the side artwork.

My custom marquee is ordered from gameongrafix. Here's a low res of the marquee:

post-106242-142870621205_thumb.jpg

The control panel graphic is set up but I'm holding off until I get the joysticks (sanwa j-stiks) installed so I can double check measurements on this before ordering.

post-106242-142870621208_thumb.jpg

My goal this weekend is to start on wiring the control panel and get the computer and monitor installed in the cab.

I'll be using a mini-pac for the control panel interface.

A buddy of mine is going to work on the side art for me - one side with Surfer and Thanos - the other side with Surfer and Mephisto.

Thanks for looking.

Urk,

Welcome to the community!

Very nice pickup! Can't wait to see how this build goes! Good job so far.

Have you thought of putting a small monitor in the top, behind the glass, for instruction cards, controller images or marquee display??

Thanks,

Ron

Archived