Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Running Roms via a Nas on Shield

egatimra

Anyone had any luck yet ?

Mine is working fine. I just mount my NAS using the Shield TV settings.

Afterwards, I changed the rompath in the ini file to: rompath=/storage/NAS/Hyperspin/Emulators/Nintendo 64/roms

The only thing that is not working, is the video path, even after changing the [video defaults]. 

Anyone is having this working?

EDIT: Ok, just checked and [video defaults] is not supported. :(

*This has been edited to reflect exactly what needs to be done, along with the Info from Reznnate.*

Ok. I finally had the chance to use my 16TB WD Nas. And still had to put in another 8TB for the rest of my systems... lol

Theres 3 things i had to do

1. Map your device in the storage settings of the Shield TV. IT will map in the /storage/ section of your box. They will also show as External Storage in certain apps once mapped.

2. I only use 2 shares from my Nas. 1 for Hyperspin and one for my Roms/files. It caused hell on my Fpse if i had too many, and could only see 2 shares any way. 

3. Change your Hyperspin Settings files to use the /storage/*Nasnamehere/ path so that it will never change due to ip address changes. You can do this while in hyperspin as well! NOTE: the path is CASE SENSITIVE!

For hyperspin to work your PATH needs to be "/storage/nasnamehere/Hyperspin"

NOTE: Your Hyperspin Settings.ini rom path settings need to start with: /storage/NASNAMEHERE/

ALL PATHS START with a / and ends with no slash at the end.

Performance is perfect! ZERO ISSUES.  This included disc items and large arcade files.

And makes changes to Hyperspin SO much easier!

I recommend everyone get a NAS Device.

Im using the WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra.

1. Map your device in the storage settings of the Shield TV. IT will map in the /storage/ section of your box. They will also show as External Storage in certain apps once mapped.

2. Create a folder called Hyperspin on your internal memory(sdcard). Then share your Hyperspin folder on the nas. On the Shield, use AndSMB from the play store and setup the main access and the sync access (remote folder). Thats how to get your hyperspin working remotely.

Hmm, I'll need to look at why step 2 is needed.

If the path on your NAS is /storage/Nasnamehere/Hyperspin/, I'd expect Hyperspin to find that folder.   

I'll take a look.

Okay, I looked this a bit more.   Unfortunately, AndSMB doesn't add any value here.

On MY NAS setup, Shield's SMB storage feature maps my hardware this way:    /storage/<nas_device>/<nas_volume_name>/Hyperspin

So the Hyperspin app isn't finding the Hyperspin folder.

If your NAS only has a single folder between /storage and /Hyperspin, it should work.

But until this startup folder behavior is enhanced, you'd need to put everything but the roms in a Hyperspin folder the app can find (locally).

Changing the .ini files to point at ANY folder (on your NAS) should work with most emulator apps.    

I've a 4tb mycloud nas drive and am still having the same issue it says

"Attempting to launch missing roms"

I'm not bothered about having hyperspin running off the nas drive just the roms will be grand so I have all the hyperspin set up except the roms on a sd card which is fine I launch hyperspin and can go into the wheel but when I try pick a game I get the above message

I'm delighted to see that it's actually working so has to be something I'm doing it clicked with me after reading your posts that the problem I'm having might be that my paths are set to

//WDMUCLOUD/Sinead/roms/Atari 2600/roms

Do I need to put storage ahead of the WDMYCLOUD so it reads

storage/WDMYCLOUD/Sinead/roms/Atari 2600/roms

and if so how do I do I can edit the ini no problem but when I try doing it in rocketlauncher or hyper hq I can only browse files and select can't actually manually type in a path

Thanks guys hopefully one of you can help me out delighted it works one way or another

Threeway

You can only change the rom path manualy i believe with a text editor. Change the rompath= line in the .ini file

I expect you do need storage/WDMYCLOUD/Sinead/roms/Atari 2600/roms

EDIT: I just tested this out with my laptop as the "NAS" played an N64 rom with the rompath as the above folder structure no problem, only difference was a forward slash at the start (/storage/LAPTOP/Movies/Android/N64)

Sorry if this has been covered but you have confirmed everything else is fine with the roms? (They launch fine when held on the local drive?)

the names must match the database xml, all roms in one folder and correct extensions as the .ini file

Edit: I posted a link above to a GeForce forum post about changing the network name of your device to "Sdcard1" to allow the Hyperspin folder to be found. Has anyone tried this?? I will give it a go when I get the time with laptop as the network device.

I'm expecting to have this path structure

/storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin (should auto find Hyperspin with no Hyperspin folder on my Shield TV

Hi to you all

Not a so long member but already a long time into emulation.

I finally begun to start on my hyperspin setup.
Also bought the shield and had the same idea of running the roms on the NAS.

Before the marshmellow update 3.2 for the shield I was planning on setting al up on my pc and stream via gamestream to the shield.

However the solution of directly do this from the shield I like even more.

To come back to the question, I tried it myself and it works as said.

First tried with retroarch and afterwards with hyperspin.

Now busy with setting it up first completely on an external HDD (easier to setup) and than moving to the NAS and just change the ini's.

Here is a guy who reported it.

I found it easier however to mount the NAS share as a guest (created a separate one called EMU).

Shield settings/Storage/ ... mount

Once it is mapped and you have hyperspin on one of the paths as mentioned, just change the ini  (change rom path).

Just got one of the systems running on hyperspin (with all arts etc) and in the next days I try to make some time to create the android_settings etc and test it.

Once that is done, I move to the NAS as described above.

Should be fine, but will report back.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I have now fully tested this although I do not have a NAS device. I used my Laptop as a replacement to test it.

I changed my computer name to SDCARD1. I then shared my Hyperspin folder located at root of C drive.

Mounted this to the Shield as \\sdcard1\Hyperspin (lowercase sdcard1)

Hyperspin and games launch fine when stored in the default manner of Hyperspin\Emulators\SYSTEMNAME\roms

with rompath=Emulators/SegaGenesis/roms

If I mount a second roms folder that is outside of my Hyperspin folder also on the C:\ it also works fine

I mounted this folder as \\SDCARD1\roms (uppercase SDCARD1)

with rompath=/storage/SDCARD1/roms

Is there any difference between my laptop share and a NAS share???

Please get back to me as I will write this up with screenshots for the Tutorials section

Is there any difference between my laptop share and a NAS share???

Please get back to me as I will write this up with screenshots for the Tutorials section

Not really, the only thing that matters for themes/video is (Android M+) there be a /Hyperspin folder with settings and media in the /storage folder.   There can be one path in between (i.e. /storage/xyx/Hyperspin/ but if there are 2 (i.e. /storage/xyx/uvw/Hyperspin/, it doesn't work at the moment.    

I updated my previous post to show how it should be. I'll repost it again so people can see it easier.

As long as your shares are things like /storage/nasname/Hyperspin and /storage/nasname/Gamesystem/roms it should work.

• 3 weeks later...

Blimey I pop out for a cup of tea come back and find out my post has exploded into life lol.

No its good to see ive been really busy of late, wife is pregnant so had a lot to sort out, plus been revamping my SPMC setup with an EPG so I can lose all my Sky subs. Anyways im now getting back into this as its the final piece of the puzzle for my media build.

Good to see the work put in by all you guys and i'll catch up with it asap to get mine working :-)

• 1 month later...

Archived