Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Launching an additional instance of HS with different resolution settings through HS

laserbones

Hey guys, is it possible to launch an additional instance of HS, with different resolution settings, through the main HS wheel? I'm having trouble opening up two instances of HS. Thanks!

Don't think it's possible. When HyperSpin is launched, it checks for an occurrence of it running. And will not launch a second one.

Thanks,

Ron

Something you could try is running a script that kills HS before it launches your new one. I've been interested in giving it a shot for a while now, just haven't gotten the time to really prove it out one way or another yet.

Because you guys are apparently lazy and I had nothing better to do... proof of concept time. :)

So, what I have here is a bare installation of Hyperspin at N:\test\Hyperspin.exe. I opened up HyperHQ, turned off intro videos, created a new menu item called Subwheel Test, said that it was just an executable. Pointed it to a compiled AHK script that does nothing but kills Hyperspin.exe and launches Hyperspin.exe from a N:\test\subwheel test\Hyperspin.exe. This second Hyperspin has a menu item called It Works which is pointed to a compiled AHK that kills Hyperspin.exe and executes the one in N:\test\Hyperspin.exe.

As you can see, I set them both to different resolutions to make the point that there is two different installs going on here. At the moment, it's very clear that one is quitting and then opening up a second one. Obviously, we are in the midst of people that know how to hide that sort of thing very well with the HyperLaunch crew so I'm sure someone can come up with something useful to hide the second launch.

What happens when you hit ESC to try to quit out of the subwheel test Hyperspin instance? Glad you asked. I put the same compiled AHK used by the menu item as the exit program and also disabled the "ask the user if we want to quit" message. Combined with some nice hiding techniques - hell, even a black screen between the two - and you won't notice that there's a difference here.

Compiled AHK:

Process, Close, Hyperspin.exe
Run, N:\test\subwheel test\Hyperspin.exe

The compiled AHK in the subwheel test folder is the same other than the path for Run being N:\test\Hyperspin.exe.

So... yeah, it can be done and without much hassle. This was about ten minutes to do and included the recording and uploading of the video. You could use this to maybe have a main wheel of Super Nintendo, then a Subwheel with USA/Japan/Prototypes/World and then the games under each as one idea. I'll probably make another proof of concept video showing this exact example tomorrow.

Alrighty, I didn't feel like waiting, so here's a video showing off a proof of concept of subwheels of subwheels complete with proper hiding between Hyperspin launches. Thanks to ghutch for helping with the hiding code.

I think it's pretty nice. :)

Moving the discussion for this over at http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?33730-Faking-Subwheels-of-Subwheels-with-Multiple-Installs-of-Hyperspin

Archived