Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Trying to make an "All Games" Wheel...

SkyHighGam3r

I thought it might be fun to make a wheel that contains all the games in my setup. Initially I was using an XML merger to set this up and it was going great... until I hit some games that have the same name across multiple platforms. Merge tools generally disregard one entry, or ask which you want to keep.

For example, NES and Genesis both have "Battletoads".

I tried adding a system descriptor (NES) and (GEN) to the end of the <description> line in the xmls, and this allowed me to merge them just fine. The problem I run into though is that because the filename for each is "Battletoads", that also means the box-art, videos, etc are all named "Battletoads" and I can't put both boxes for example in the same folder.

I feel like I could possibly solve this by renaming the actual game files to "Battletoads (NES)" and "Battletoads (GEN)" respectively. However, to go through every single system and compare duplicates by hand would be exhuastingly tedious. The other, similar, option I have is to just add the system descriptor to the end of every game in every system. That too though, would take a great deal of time and isn't ideal.

Does anyone know a way I can easily search for duplicate file-names among a series of folders? like a special program or something? That way I could totally just rename the games that have multiple versions.

Of course, then the other matter becomes the fact I have to duplicate my video and art entries in my build... but I doubt there's any way around that. Unless there's a way to make some kind of ghost copy of files lol

Have you tried hyperXMLspin to create your database? It's a tool to create some customized databases (for example, you enter "sonic" and it creates a database with all the games that contain "sonic" in the name). You can perhaps select all the games in your setup with this utility. If not, r0man0, the guy how has made this utility, is still developping it. So you can ask him for this.

Archived