Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Getting to grips with the setup..

goodbytes

Is HyperSpin mainly for full collections? I visited the sticky guide in this forum that talks us through getting it installed, updating with git and installing MAME.. when i finally fired up HyperSpin i noticed lots of emulators on there and the MAME emulator i setup was already loaded with games that obviously weren't installed (i guess this came from the xml i added). I am wondering what the benefit of the xml files are, because what are the chances of everyone having full collections? surely it takes longer to remove content than start from scratch with small libraries?

I'll only be going with a small selection of games so i'm wondering if it's worth going down that route. I'm new to this so i could be missing the point completely.

I was thinking of signing up as a platinum member but does it follow the same setup? ie.. can i use hyper sync to do everything for a small collection or will it throw lots of images, files and data down for roms i don't even have. what are the benefits (aside from supporting the developers and community) ?

I'm finding the whole process confusing at the moment, i am a computer technician so should pick it up fast when I find my feet. Are there any good guides that describe this part better?

Sorry for a random open ended question

Is HyperSpin mainly for full collections? I visited the sticky guide in this forum that talks us through getting it installed, updating with git and installing MAME.. when i finally fired up HyperSpin i noticed lots of emulators on there and the MAME emulator i setup was already loaded with games that obviously weren't installed (i guess this came from the xml i added). I am wondering what the benefit of the xml files are, because what are the chances of everyone having full collections? surely it takes longer to remove content than start from scratch with small libraries?

I'll only be going with a small selection of games so i'm wondering if it's worth going down that route. I'm new to this so i could be missing the point completely.

I was thinking of signing up as a platinum member but does it follow the same setup? ie.. can i use hyper sync to do everything for a small collection or will it throw lots of images, files and data down for roms i don't even have. what are the benefits (aside from supporting the developers and community) ?

I'm finding the whole process confusing at the moment, i am a computer technician so should pick it up fast when I find my feet. Are there any good guides that describe this part better?

Sorry for a random open ended question

Welcome...

In HyperHQ, there is an option to only display roms that you have, you'll have to specify the path and the file extension for it to work properly, though.

HyperSync, will download whatever is in the .xml, regardless of if you have the rom or not. You'll have to make a custom .xml to avoid this.

I used to think it was better and easier to have a small collection, but I've been finding that having a complete romset is actually easier to deal with in HyperSpin/HyperLaunch, and then using the 'add to favorites' 'launch into favorites' to deal with a smaller set

Thanks for the input Rick, it's starting to make sense now.

So i guess if i want to go with a smaller set i should collate my ROMS and then i know exactly what i am working with, then add the emulators for those ROMS and create XML files for them, only then should I use HyperSync to "1-Click" install everything i need?

I may consider going with a full collection and hiding what i don't have, especially it will save time, i was just thinking about the wasted space...

Thanks for the input Rick, it's starting to make sense now.

So i guess if i want to go with a smaller set i should collate my ROMS and then i know exactly what i am working with, then add the emulators for those ROMS and create XML files for them, only then should I use HyperSync to "1-Click" install everything i need?

I may consider going with a full collection and hiding what i don't have, especially it will save time, i was just thinking about the wasted space...

Yeah, there will be some wasted space on games that you'll hardly, if ever, play. But 1tb - 3tb drives aren't very expensive, and you'll be spending ALOT of time paring down your games and art and stuff.

I don't know what kind of games you are into, but for me, a complete SNES/SFC is like 4gb, and NES is like 1.5gb. TG16/PCEngine 2gb etc... With the exception of the CD based systems, it's really not a lot of space to have everything, and a complete MAME set minus the CHD games is like 45gb. Plus, you'll discover a ton of games that you never knew that you'll end up loving!

I totally agree with Rick. I love diving into new games and finding things I love... that's exactly what keeps me going! I agree as well with the full sets. Now you can find a whole set, have it downloaded, artwork added and be done with it in a day. The only problem is space... I try to stagger what I have on different systems to make up for this. Ultimately, I have my main setup stored on a Network Drive and when I get a new machine, I copy and paste what emulators/games I want.

Another advantage of having a full set is, when you have people over, getting your guests to ask what games they remember and having them at your fingertips. Really fun!

Look for complete rom sets to make things easier, and check out Don's Hyperspin Tools to get your xmls sorted the way you like.

Good luck!

I am sorry to differ here. For me having full sets is a waste of space and time, yes time, because while I agree that it's neat to discover good games, I think that within a collection only about 20 or probably 30% is worth having a look. If you have a huge collection what will happen is that you will miss those good games you were actually looking for, do the "favourites" collection beforehand while setting up HyperSpin and then forget about it, and instead of skipping crap after crap you will be skipping gem after gem :)

I'm uploading my trimmed .xml with european titles (for handheld) and mostly NTSC-U titles for desktop consoles. I include also good Japanese games (never included in official XML). There are a few titles with the (Spain) suffix, just change it to your rom country.

Archived