Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Recommendations for a 4Tb HDD.

thomas3120

Hello,

My current Media/Hyperspin Drive is getting close to it's max of 3Tb and was wondering what brand should I go with...  Just been a while since I've bought one so I have no idea which one to check out.

I'd like to have the 7200rpm, sata, and 128mb cache(i believe).

I've had a spotty relationship with WD.  my current drive is WD and has been great...but a while back I bought another WD drive and it lasted for a month or 2 :/ 

Any suggestions/help would be awesome.

Also My OS SSD drive is getting close to being at max cap. it's a 230Gb SSD....any suggestions on a good SSD also would be awesome :)

My mobo supports those M.2 socket type 2242/2260/2280 devices...but I don't know very much on these...

t

• 2 weeks later...

It is hard to really ask these types of questions because everyone is going to have different luck with different brands. I have had horrible experiences with Seagate drives of all models. WD has been good here in all my servers.

Having said that, Hitachi and Toshiba do seem to have better drives when you look at the long term test numbers. They are usually higher in price than Seagate or Western Digital.

Sorry to not have been more help.

1 hour ago, dragon57 said:

It is hard to really ask these types of questions because everyone is going to have different luck with different brands. I have had horrible experiences with Seagate drives of all models. WD has been good here in all my servers.

Having said that, Hitachi and Toshiba do seem to have better drives when you look at the long term test numbers. They are usually higher in price than Seagate or Western Digital.

Sorry to not have been more help.

I bought 3 DOA WD Blue's within the past 2 years so I switched to Seagate. I only switched because it's all my local store had in stock at the time.

Up until that point i've had nothing but good experiences with WD and would only recommend them but i've noticed a sharp quality drop ever since my DOA drives (maybe it's just the blues?). My guess is that most consumer laptops/desktops have the cheapest, slowest seagate in them (it's almost ALWAYS a seagate), and that just put a bad taste in my mouth, I never gave a quality seagate hdd a chance until I purchased the drive I have now.

Or maybe I just got lucky, and WD is still kingpin. I know their Black's are still really good and well reviewed so maybe it just comes down to personal preference...Either way  you'll be happy with any 7200rpm drive and shouldn't notice much of a difference

Thanks for the replies :)

Well I went ahead and bought a 'Gold' series WD 4Tb 7200rpm, 128Mb cache HDD...so far it's doing good, a bit loud when it's working/accessing data, etc..

If I recall it was around $150USD

I'll report back on how it does.

Thanks again,

thomas

Archived