Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Change emulator exit key to something other than 'Escape'

jwdonal

Hello all,

What I want to do is stop hyperspin from exiting/killing my emulators when I press the Escape key. This behavior is incredibly annoying because many games that I have installed use the Escape key to open and/or navigate the in-game menus to change game settings and such. But having the Escape key set to kill the emulator prevents me from being able to do that.

I followed the instructions located here to change the exit emulator key setting in rocketlauncher:

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/28935-exit-button-combinations/

The instructions are very clear but they don't seem to be working for me - at least not completely.

All of the individual emulators that are setup in rocketlauncher are set to use the global settings.

In my global settings I changed the "Exit Emulator Key" (found under Global=>Settings=>Main Settings) from 'Esc' to 'H2000:End". This new setting of holding the End key for 2 seconds __DOES__ work properly.  However, the 'Esc' key is _still_ killing the emulators and I have no idea why. There is no reference to the 'Esc' key in the "Exit Emulator Key" configuration. I have attached screenshots to show my configuration.

I even changed the "Exit" keyboard mapping for player 1/2 in the HyperHQ tool from 'Escape' to 'Backspace' hoping that might be the problem (screenshot attached). But that didn't fix anything either.

No matter what I do the 'Escape' key keeps killing all my emulators. :( I am completely out of ideas at this point. Can anyone help me fix this?

Thank you very much. (I'm running RocketLaunchUI v1.0.1.10)

rlui_exit_key.PNG

rlui_exit_setting.PNG

hs_hq_exit.PNG

For HQ, "null" is not a valid entry. If you check the ini, I bet escape is still listed there. Try using any valid key.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Oh my bad. you do have backspace there... any joytokey or startup script?

1 hour ago, Spawk said:

If not, then it comes directly from whatever emulator you are using.

Thanks for the reply! It sent me down the right path.

It lead me to another forum post here (see Reply #2): http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=86989.0

Apparently MAME has an internal setting to kill the emulator called "Cancel UI" (strange name) and this was also mapped to the Escape key. This helped fix the issue with all of the systems that use MAME (it's crazy how many systems use MAME).

So that fixed the issue with all of the MAME emulators being killed with the Esc key. And after I tried other systems that I was certain were not MAME those systems also no longer get killed when I press the Esc key. Also good!!

I've only been able to find one set of games that still get killed with the 'Esc' key and that's my Pinball FX3 games. In that game the 'Esc' key is supposed to pause the game and open the main menu but instead it just kills the game.

What's interesting is that if I run FX3 outside of hyperspin then the Escape key works properly (pauses game and opens menu). But if I run within hyperspin then the Esc key still kills the game.  Weird...

Thanks for the help!

Archived