Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Air flow in a Cabinet - how to get a cooling

A lot of cab builders have 3 fans in the back of the cab.

Are the two fans in the cabinet for the intake of cold air

and the one fan in the backbox for the outtake of warm air??? But that would not be really symmetrical, isn´t it (two "in" and only one "out") ????

But if so... is there enough cooling for the front part of the cabinet, e.g. the monitor especially in the front of the cab?????

OR are all 3 fans for the outtake (warm air OUT of the cab) ???

Thx for advice, Launch_14 :)

A lot of cab builders have 3 fans in the back of the cab.

Are the two fans in the cabinet for the intake of cold air

and the one fan in the backbox for the outtake of warm air??? But that would not be really symmetrical, isn´t it (two "in" and only one "out") ????

But if so... is there enough cooling for the front part of the cabinet, e.g. the monitor especially in the front of the cab?????

OR are all 3 fans for the outtake (warm air OUT of the cab) ???

I use two fans in the back pushing air out, and a third in the bottom near the front drawing air in.

You're right that it's not quite symmetrical, but that shouldn't really matter, because an "out" fan will have the effect of drawing air in through any available intakes by lowering the air pressure in the cab. You could have three "out" fans or three "in" fans and get roughly the same effect, modulo turbulence and other air flow inefficiencies.

I positioned the intake towards the front of the cab and the out vents at the rear because I wanted air to move continuously through the whole interior, particularly over the motherboard near the middle. My approach isn't scientific - it's just intuition based on the idea that there will be some natural gravity convection towards the back anyway because the TV slopes up towards the back, so the fans should just help along the air flow that would occur anyway. I don't have a fan on the backbox; I'm just letting gravity vent air hot air out of the holes near the top. The backbox TVs are LED-backlit (so they don't get very hot to start with) and were passively ventilated in their original cases, so it seems adequate in principle.

my gaunlet legends cab requires nothing special. Slapped a computer in and no cooling issues. Runs 24x7. I have alot of open room though and no I did not wreck the cab it still plays both gl and dl with the original control panel.

thank you for your answers!

my original cab has also "a lot of" openings in the bottom... so I will go for 1 additional fan IN (near to the human player) and 3 OUT fans in the back...

I think that will make it - I will go for a cab with "only" LED flashers - but no contactors / shakers etc.

thx :itsme:

Archived