Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Relative path "..\" isn't recognized for Hyperlaunch_Path value in Settings.ini

sloppymagoo

Hello!

I have been using HyperSpin and RocketLauncher for years and am now trying to get my system to run off a USB drive using relative paths so I don't have to hard code the drive letter.

All the path values for all the ini files work fine using relative nomenclature (e.g. .\ & ..\) save for Hyperlaunch_Path in the HyperSpin Settings.ini file.

My installation happens to have RocketLauncher installed alongside Hyperspin, so it's:

C:\HyperSpin

C:\RocketLauncher

So the correct value for Hyperlaunch_Path using a relative path would be: ..\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe

But HyperSpin doesn't recognize the ..\ portion correctly and instead defaults to the old HyperLaunch.exe which isn't configured.

However, if I set Hyperlaunch_Path to either:

C:\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe

or

.\RocketLauncher\RocketLauncher.exe (assuming RocketLauncher is under HyperSpin)

It works fine.

I understand I can move RocketLauncher to under C:\HyperSpin but then it gets gummed up (it can't find the MAME system definition and can't create a new one because it says it's already in the database).

But wondering if there is a way to work around this. I could conceivably reinstall RocketLauncher under HyperSpin and reconfigure and see if that works. Just moving RL and updating the values is messing things up, and I've edited every relevant .ini I can think of, but obviously am missing something.

Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hello sloppy,

Some things to think about:

- I was under the impression that the full path to RL was always needed so I am surprised the one dot even "sort of" tries to work.

- RL has NO installation so if it does in fact "work", then it's just a matter of making sure you update all the paths to your emulators/modules/3rd party apps... go through everything in RLUI!

- All of this is really pointless if you are really using drive "C:\" though as it will NEVER be assigned as a USB drive! As a matter of fact I have learned over the years to install as little as possible to your OS drive. A crash/failure of this drive can make the "fix" a very time consuming affair. Whereas if you make your rig any other drive letter, you can quickly format, re-install Windows, .Net and Visual C++ packages and be back up in no time.

- My approach is to simply setup using a letter higher in the alphabet. Something like "T" or above. This is likely a free drive letter on most systems. Then you only have to go to "Disk Management" 1 time when you first plug the drive in to any PC and Windows will remember it from that point forward.

You are right though, this is one of the very few "hard paths" I have come across. Good luck!

Spawk,

Everything you say makes sense. Using a higher up drive letter is what I am going to  settle on, but as I was making this install for a friend who is not computer savvy, I wanted it as simple as possible. But I will just walk him through it changing the drive letter of the USB stick.

You are right about ".\" in front of of the path for Hyperlaunch_Path: I thought it was working correctly, but upon closer inspection my MAME wheel was wonky (some entries were messed up) and changing back to a static drive letter for the RocketLauncher path fixed it.

So I am good to go now. Thank you for the prompt and useful reply!

Archived