Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

xin-mo vs mini ipac

JFlash3785

I have a mini i-pac and I don't experience any lag or troubles registering. It's low budget, good quality + you can attach your buttons and trackball/spinner. Don't forget it is really mini though, I almost couldn't find the damn thing when the shipment arrived. My board was way too big for the standard harness to cover the distance. Thats why I made my own daisy chain harness and prolonged some wires on the switch harness with connectors and some new wires.

Also think about your setup, you can attach the mini i-pac to 32 switches next to your trackball/spinner. But this 32 switches also include your joysticks, meaning if you have 2 of them they require 2 x 4 switch connections which leaves you with 'only' 24 switches. I misjudged this one which leaves me with 2 not connected buttons :)

There was one switch with 'lag' but after mailing with Ultimarc they informed me it was the standard switch button.. I couldn't find any documentation about this explanation though.

Be careful what you read from other MAME emulation users regarding input lag. The mixed results that you may have come across don't take into account that MAME emulation itself introduces input lag and it is not all attributed to the controller PCB. Sadly, I haven't yet seen a test that does a definitive test that compares input lag across different controller PCB's in the same operating environment (same hardware, same software, different PCB's). Understandable however since it would be costly to do something like this without monetary benefit. But from what I read, PCB's aren't solely the problem.

With that said Calamity has done great work GroovyMAME to bypass many of the emulation routines inherent in MAME that introduces input lag. Check out this thread to find out how GroovyMAME is configured to eliminate input lag. The thread also has links to other threads across different forums that discuss the same thing.

Archived