Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

CP-1 Custom Space Sim Seat

ericleroi

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ericleroi, i have a question about that vinyl.. i would love to use it for the side panels of my bartop, what kind of vinyl is it and how do i apply to make it as smooth as yours?? 

I'm dutch... so i have to try and find it here in the netherlands

Hi hyperdennins, I use blackboard vinyl. It's thicker than regular self adhesive vinyl, is more durable (it's designed to be abused a bit), more forgiving when applying and has a great texture to it. I am addicted to it. I've replied to your question is 2 posts due to the number of pictures.

Vinyl:

DIYLaminateRoll_zpsd6996b3e.jpg

It comes in approx 1m widths. I purchase it from here:

http://www.mdpsupplies.co.uk/blackboard.asp

I searched ebay for you and this looks to be equivalent material:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/1-5mX67-5cm-CHALK-BLACK-BOARD-BLACKBOARD-STICKY-BACK-PLASTIC-SELF-ADHESIVE-VINYL-/171526994219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27efce392b

Close up of the texture:

Neutrik2_zps3cc46f66.jpg

I have used it on all my current projects. It's durable enough to use on a desk. Here, I have applied it to the main surface, the front shaped section and also the custom built monitor shelf:

CustomComputerDIYGamingDesk3.jpg

GamingDesk_zpsdzgf0j87.jpg

It's also used on my arcade machine for the surfaces on the control panel and main front/face pieces of the unit:

IMG_0771.jpg

SpeakerGrille1_zps9994157d.jpg

Other applications have included a console cabinet where the internal faces and shelving have had this applied:

XBOXArcade57.jpg

XBOXArcade93_zpsca7eb947.jpg

It can obviously be used on simpler pieces such as a wall rack.

WallRack4_zpsa641f263.jpg

So you can see, I use it everywhere!

Continued on next post ...

... Continued from previous post.

Here's a tutorial I put together for somebody a while back with some updates included.

Tutorial:

For simple flat surfaces, it's self explanatory. Preparation of the surface is key - it must me flat and smooth. I will typically use a Swiffer cloth to remove any dust and then pass my hands over the surface a few times. It may sound obvious but it's best to work on an elevated surface if possible to avoid any debris being picked up from the floor.

Take your single piece of wood, cut the vinyl to size and apply. Over cut the vinyl by a sensible amount, to ensure that the whole piece is covered, draw back the backing paper by a few inches and start working from one end. Use your hand to start smoothing from the middle of the piece initially and then smooth towards the edges. Continue to draw back the vinyl a few inches at a time and repeat the process until covered (the bumps in this picture are due to holes drilled in the panel):

TidyBigPanel1_zps426eea15.jpg

Once covered, flip the piece over, Place on a large piece of scrap wood and trim the excess the a sharp knife - a blade which extends beyond the thickness of the panel should be used:

TidyBigPanel2_zpse17d77b3.jpg

For panels which have screws embedded or are uneven, make sure these are filled and sanded. Avoid regular filled as this tends to crack and shrink. I use car body filler (p38):

BodyFiller_zps074b58be.jpg

Apply liberally to fill the holes:

topbefore_zps30598576.jpg

Sand with a 180 grit sandpaper until smooth:

topafter_zpsfe9c4829.jpg

You can now dust and apply the vinyl.

For more complex pieces across multiple planes where a single seamless stretch of vinyl is to be applied, I usually create some bracing to give the piece rigidity. Taking the front of the shifter pod as an example

PodPanels_zpsc6b69faf.jpg

Create some internal bracing to ensure the whole piece is well supported:

Brace_zpsc880779b.jpg

BraceInside_zpse1491ab8.jpg

The panels can then be glued together along with the bracing. Wood strips are added so the bracing can be screwed to the outer panel:

BracingInside_zps13d8a324.jpg

Once you have your piece prepared, use filler and sand down:

Filler1_zps4d5f0a3d.jpg

Filler2_zps5b11f94d.jpg

For vinyl covering of a piece like this, it may be sensible to start in the middle rather than one end. Here, I have drawn back the backing paper and applied it to one of the middle angled sections. Be sure not to let the vinyl pick up any debris and reattach some of the backing paper if necessary. Apply the vinyl close to one of the edges and attache to the first surface. Work the vinyl around the edges pressing really firmly with your thumbs as you do so. This may well start to hurt after a while!

DIYLaminate0_zps9719ce02.jpg

Continue to cover the piece by drawing back the backing paper:

DIYLaminate1_zps4e0051c2.jpg

Important note: If wrapping around angles greater than about 70 degrees, round off the edges by sanding very lightly. This will ensure that the vinyl doesn't bubble at the edges.

Once you reach the underside of the piece, starting in the middle, pull the vinyl firmly (it will stretch very slightly) and stick into place. Then do the same in sections working towards the outsides. Again. this avoids any unsightly bubbling.

You can then trim the vinyl. Work in sections if necessary if it's being wrapped around the ends of the panels:

DIYLaminate2_zpsd68e8bce.jpg

You should end up with a nicely covered piece:

DIYLaminate3_zps1ad0dfc2.jpg

DIYLaminate4_zpse4691715.jpg

ShowCase5_zps9f94b81b.jpg

For larger sections, it's best to enlist the help of another pair of hands. Preparation is key so use filler as required and sand to a nice sharp angle:

bottombefore_zps9fa9faa6.jpg

bottomafter_zpsbeb6e7ea.jpg

Dust off and start to apply the vinyl. I go overboard with excess on larger complex surfaces. It's best to waste more vinyl here than ruin the piece and have to cut another large section and throw the original away. Here I started applying the vinyl at the top. Line the vinyl up, attach to the first surface and press very firmly with your thumbs - I cannot stress enough the need to be very aggressive with this.

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

Again, working slowly and drawing the vinyl backing paper a few inches at a time, apply the vinyl:

Vinyl1point5_zps49448544.jpg

It will end up looking something like this:

Vinyl2_zps358bd233.jpg

If there's a lot of excess, rough cut some of it away with a blade, keeping a reasonable distance from the edges:

Vinyl3_zps1413b623.jpg

For a large immovable shape like this, a sharp blade and a length of wood can be used:

Vinyl4_zpsc5cced02.jpg

Place the wood on the top of the vinyl and cut from the underside, working in sections:

Vinyl5_zps963bb8ae.jpg

Continue around the edge until complete:

Vinyl6_zpsf2ccb131.jpg

I will then usually paint the edges of the MDF black (water based blackboard paint) to ensure that no wood is visible once any side pieces are attached. As the side is painted, a piece of kitchen towel can be used to ensure any paint making its way onto the vinyl surface can be wiped away.

A few more pictures of the wrapping process for a more difficult piece - the front section of my desk. This really hurt my thumbs!

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

The finished piece:

FrontPieceDesk_zps4zh9vmse.jpg

Hope this was useful.

Archived