Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

CP-1 Custom Space Sim Seat

ericleroi

It's probably about time I posted some progress on my latest project here. The only major gaming setup I'm missing (aside from a virtual pinball table) is a setup for space/flight sims. With the beta release of Elite, my juices started flowing and kicked me into action. The idea is to create an integrated solution to a 'space place'. I have VR in mind as I'm construction this.

The overall design will look something like this:

InitialDesign2_zpscdb187f2.jpg

It will take many design cues from previous projects in terms of general style and materials used so expect to see a lot of this sort of thing:

ShowCase1_zpseecfc919.jpg

FlatBlackFrontCloseup_zps7b4c0112.jpg

To cut to the chase, here's what I have currently. The side pods for the throttle and stick have been made:

NewPlate3_zps875daf3f.jpg

NotGlued2_zps433fb626.jpg

StickLid2_zps94c9f6ab.jpg

The top panel on this wass made with thinner material to allow easier access to the switches and buttons:

throttlePanel4_zpsed09e517.jpg

And I'm making some good progress on the seat:

Sides2_zps5ca6e2da.jpg

RePad3_zpsf3605d89.jpg

SeatPad4_zpsb70d0fa2.jpg

This is giving me some basic ideas:

ChairHardpoints_zps854738ca.jpg

I've also made the basic parts for the centre console which will sit in the gap in the front of the seat. This will be used for mounting a tablet or other control devices:

CentreConsoleDone1_zps7dbe20fc.jpg

Loads to do yet as you can see.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As always, your handiwork is beautiful. what movie/game did you grab that screen from? this thing looks like a mechwarrior playin machine

Thanks for that :) The screen shot is actually from Elite: Dangerous.

Yes, I think the setup will eventually be good for may different types of games, mech styles included!

Are you the guy on BYOAC that built that sick ass racing sim setup?

Thanks Jeremy and yes, I did build the R-Pod MkII :)

Nevermind, looked it up. Please tell me you are going multiple monitor for this, that would look insane with that game.

I'll be aiming for the Rift as a primary display device when the Consumer version is released. Triples would definitely be a great addition.

mate why don't you just build the Millennium Falcon? At this rate I think you really could.... your projects just blow my mind.

Thanks majorspawn. Projects are rarely finished, I am thinking about replacing my desk with ... something!

I'm not sure MDF would withstand the jump to hyperspace.

Maybe I could attach some Space Shuttle ceramic tiles.

LoL. What's the point ... of me posting here if I really don't understand the purpose of forums like these.

Fixed that for you ... and also ignored due to childish and incomprehensible personal messages.

Hey mate with your blackboard vinyl, how did you get it on so clean around corners / curved surfaces to mold to the surface etc?

The key to this is to take note of the angles / edges. If they're greater than about 70 degrees, the edges should be slightly rounded by lightly sanding. For angles which are less severe, a sharp edge can be used. It's then a case of working the vinyl around it, using your thumbs to push hard and ensure it's taut. This will hurt after a while if there's a lot to do!

For this piece:

Filler1_zps4d5f0a3d.jpg

Fill and sand the edges to make sure there's a nice clean line:

Filler2_zps5b11f94d.jpg

Cut a suitably sized piece of vinyl (over-cut as much as you can afford to), line up the vinyl around one of the edges and start to apply:

DIYLaminate0_zps9719ce02.jpg

Use your thumbs to push really hard around the edge, making sure that it's a nice line, before smoothing across the faces either side. Once you're happy it's as it should be, slowly smooth on the vinyl and approach the next edge, drawing back the backing paper as you go:

DIYLaminate1_zps4e0051c2.jpg

Once you get to the underside of the piece, i.e. the last bit, starting from the middle, pull the vinyl and press it into place. This will further remove any potential for bubbling:

DIYLaminate2_zpsd68e8bce.jpg

For larger sections, the process is the same. Fill:

topbefore_zps30598576.jpg

Sand back:

topafter_zpsfe9c4829.jpg

Align the vinyl and press firmly with your thumbs around the first corner:

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

Draw back the vinyl:

Vinyl1point5_zps49448544.jpg

Proceed around any remaining faces:

Vinyl2_zps358bd233.jpg

If there's a lot of excess, trim it back first:

Vinyl3_zps1413b623.jpg

Take a sharp knife and a flat length of wood and trim (the wood is on top and cut from the underside in this example):

Vinyl4_zpsc5cced02.jpg

For longer lengths, you may want to work in sections:

Vinyl5_zps963bb8ae.jpg

This should give you a nice, clean finish:

Vinyl6_zpsf2ccb131.jpg

Vinyl1_zps6d758f8c.jpg

For larger sections, an additional pair of hands can help greatly.

I typically then paint the edges of the wood in blackboard paint to remove any possibility of MDF being shown:

PaintPrep_zps65cd0df3.jpg

As the sides are painted, I used a piece of kitchen towel and wipe from the inside of the piece outwards to ensure that no paint adheres to the vinyl.

Hope that helps.

I see where your going with this but may i ask why use wood rather then alminium or metal for a neat contraption like this besides all that just thinking about it if you were to lean back to far wouldent the wood snap in half and hurt your back at same time the front would break as well as your feet kicked into it just sayin but its not my decsion to judge im just putting a fact out there.

wow... what a douchebag. keep up the good work Ericleroi. How are you doing those pads?

It's quite straight forwards really. take a shaped piece of wood:

ShoulderPiece1_zps1f8f00a5.jpg

Cut the foam, slightly oversized:

ShoulderPiece2_zpsd2861cb2.jpg

Cover with material:

ShoulderPiece3_zps0708a1a0.jpg

Staple in place at the back:

SeatPad1_zpsf21758eb.jpg

SeatPad2_zpsbb0d928e.jpg

These are then screwed directly into the main seat panels. The thickness of this material can make things difficult to work with.

Ok dude... what the hell do you do for a living? theres no way youre a desk jockey. You have to be a carpenter or something. you oughta get REAL fancy and put some air bladders in a couple pieces.

Thanks for that HazzardActual. IT is my profession. I've always enjoyed making things and this hobby acts as a creative outlet for that. I also enjoy the challenge of designing and building something unique requiring me to try and learn different techniques. That is fun in itself as is looking for and incorporating different materials.

I did try and make some shaped side pieces for the side of the seat but I found that covering with foam and material wasn't going to give me the results I was after.

Sides2_zps5ca6e2da.jpg

Not a problem really. I'm quite happy to try and do something and fail then accept my shortcomings and re-think.

I'm also finding that working on these types of projects stimulates my children to try things. My daughter has decided to build a table for her room which I will be helping her with.

Looking neato would be full on if you gave it the actual full interface look like ive seen in the lost world jurassic park arcade game it looks preety sick if you ask me. -

Anyways best of luck with this and keep up[ the good work your really talented at what brilliant ideas and contraptions you come up with sorry i commented on the wood but if the wood is nice and strong then hopefully nothing bad will happen i hope it dont after all the hard work your putting into this im actually digging this contraption.

Thanks for that Relic and no problem about the comment. Regarding stability: the sub-frame I've made will sit on a wider base, the width of the seat, and will be screwed to the sub-frame using batons. The seat faces (bottom and back panels) will be screwed onto the sub-frame again using batons. This will make a nice and sturdy section to add the side panels to. I will also add back panels so there's plenty of supporting structure in-place. It will effectively be a complex box structure. The downside to all this is that it will be heavy but I'd much rather have sturdy and heavy than light and fragile.

I finished the pads for the back and made the plate for the gap between the shoulder sections. This is where the keyring badge will go. It's just stuck on with a sliver of double sided tape at the moment to show the effect. I will need to either epoxy or superglue into place (I haven't determined the best option yet but probably epoxy):

TopEmblem1_zps645d2419.jpg

I still need to tidy things up a little and paint the base black:

TopEmblem2_zpsc1b88741.jpg

TopEmblem3_zpsfa0ddcd8.jpg

Thank you Fursphere :)

The main seat panel has been shortened, foam re-fitted and recovered with material. The rounded piece which sits in-front of this has been completed and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. This is there to create a shallow 'bucket seat' effect. I used double sided tape to ensure that the foam stayed in place throughout the covering process. This whole piece will sit on a platform to raise it and accentuate the effect you can see in the pictures.

Shaped piece (the foam covers two faces of this panel):

BaseRedone3_zps9ec2cde6.jpg

BaseRedone4_zps26cbdaf0.jpg

Firm foam stuck to the shaped piece with the initial loose stapling done. The white strip is double sided tape waiting to have the backing paper removed:

roundedpiece1_zpsa9bdcdf1.jpg

In-place (above):

roundedpiece3_zpscebe47e8.jpg

In-place (side):

roundedpiece2_zps20792c7b.jpg

In-place (front):

roundedpiece4_zps95899fd2.jpg

I've re-cut and re-covered the front pads. After sitting in the seat for a bit, it seems the rounded section is at about the correct height so I wont be adjusting that any further. I've created a couple of risers for the front pads but they're still a little low. I need to add some 6mm sheet to get them to sit flush. The centre console section is just rammed in at the moment, it's a very tight squeeze.

FrontPadsDone1_zps4c6b2ae9.jpg

FrontPadsDone3_zpsf216e7b2.jpg

FrontPadsDone2_zpsd3271490.jpg

I may need to re-size the centre console section ...

Archived