Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Creating Boot Options in Windows 7

BakerMan

I'm a longtime Hyperspin user, and loving every second of it. A couple of months ago I took the plunge and decided to invest in both a Hypersync and Emumovies account... and I'd have to say all of the submissions are beautiful. Awesome bezels, box and cartridge art on the FTP for games that are not on Hypersync. All kinds of stuff. I expect to stay busy with it for a long, long time and have absolutely no problem with that. Just to reiterate - I'm loving every second of this amazing program and hope to god we see future development.

Anyways.....

Enough with all of that.

I've tested with all kinds of different settings and have learned how to do all kinds of awesome things with my pending arcade cabinet. Something I'm needing help with though... is creating a shell extension err... boot option... or well, I don't really know what to call, what I want. Here it is in layman's terms;

I would like to create a menu at startup. I've already deactivated my computer's BIOS screen and would like for a custom menu to popup at the very beginning. Preferably a menu that says...

Hyperspin

Windows 7

Basically I would like to have a choice. I understand how to create a shell with Hyperspin alone and have it boot up, but am being a little bit picky. Can someone help me with this issue? Would appreciate it greatly because I don't know the intricacies or terminology to use in order to look up a tutorial.

Well, anyways... I look forward to anyone's feedback.

P.S. -- By the way...

I've been tinkering with Hyperspin for years and this post is my first.

Hopefully I can garner a response, preferably from someone that has been actively involved with Hyperspin from the beginning. That would be pretty cool and exciting. Loving the program more and more everyday and have no plans on ever letting it go. The nostalgia is intoxicating...

Thanks again.

No responses? I see there has been a lot of views, but nobody knows how to help me with this?

I'm sure there is a way to set it up so that you can choose what you want to boot into.... however the quicker, easier, cleanest way to do it is:

- shell windows 7

- set your machine to boot directly into hyperspin

- set hyperspin so that it runs explorer.exe on exit

the result of this will be a seamless transition into hyperspin, without any indications windows is there, making for a submersive intro into all of your games on your cabinet. then, once you exit out you are taken directly to your windows desktop.

im not sure exactly how to do it the alternate way you ask about, it would probably require either some boot loader software you boot directly in to or dual booting your system with 2 seperate instances of windows 7 (one for HS, one for windows). although those setups would be a bit more involved.

I'm sure there is a way to set it up so that you can choose what you want to boot into.... however the quicker, easier, cleanest way to do it is:

- shell windows 7

- set your machine to boot directly into hyperspin

- set hyperspin so that it runs explorer.exe on exit

the result of this will be a seamless transition into hyperspin, without any indications windows is there, making for a submersive intro into all of your games on your cabinet. then, once you exit out you are taken directly to your windows desktop.

im not sure exactly how to do it the alternate way you ask about, it would probably require either some boot loader software you boot directly in to or dual booting your system with 2 seperate instances of windows 7 (one for HS, one for windows). although those setups would be a bit more involved.

This would be the ideal way to do it!

The easiest way to do this though if you want to go with your original idea, is to setup two seperate accounts on the computer then set one to login normally and the other to go straight into hyperspin.

If you just want a menu to come up on login you can use powershell to pop up a command window with a choice 1.)Hyperspin 2.)Windows (Will load explorer.exe).

sample code:

Write-Host("Launch Menu`n===========")
$choice = Read-Host("(0) Hyperspin`n(1) Desktop`r`nSelect")
switch (($choice)){
    0 {$launch='c:\hyperspin\hyperspin.exe'}
    1 {$launch='explorer'}
   }
start $launch

Not the prettiest thing in the world but it works

hmmm... wonder is there also a way to create a 'windows 7' main menu item in hyperspin, whose only functions is to exit hyperspin and open exlporer.exe?

that might be a more aestehtically pleasing then the boot menu and it would be more of an instant on/boot right into the front end kind of deal

Two partitions, install windows 7 to both. Shell one using group policy and leave the other alone. Then use bcdedit to edit the windows boot menu to change the text to what you want. Sorted.

Yeah it would indeed require extra space and potentially another license - however that point is up for debate as only one can ever be used at the same time. From a technical stand point one key would activate both partitions I believe.

This solution is the closest to the original post of creating a boot menu. HyperSpin could also still be managed from the other partition by putting HyperHQ etc. there and pointing to the other. It's just an extra idea to put into the fold.

Yeah it would indeed require extra space and potentially another license - however that point is up for debate as only one can ever be used at the same time. From a technical stand point one key would activate both partitions I believe.

This solution is the closest to the original post of creating a boot menu. HyperSpin could also still be managed from the other partition by putting HyperHQ etc. there and pointing to the other. It's just an extra idea to put into the fold.

you shouldnt need two licenses for this. in the Microsoft EULA it states 1 licenses per machine, not 1 license per instance or drive.

you shouldnt need two licenses for this. in the Microsoft EULA it states 1 licenses per machine, not 1 license per instance or drive.

Thought so, thanks for clarifying @jamaster14.

This would be the ideal way to do it!

The easiest way to do this though if you want to go with your original idea, is to setup two seperate accounts on the computer then set one to login normally and the other to go straight into hyperspin.

If you just want a menu to come up on login you can use powershell to pop up a command window with a choice 1.)Hyperspin 2.)Windows (Will load explorer.exe).

sample code:

Write-Host("Launch Menu`n===========")
$choice = Read-Host("(0) Hyperspin`n(1) Desktop`r`nSelect")
switch (($choice)){
    0 {$launch='c:\hyperspin\hyperspin.exe'}
    1 {$launch='explorer'}
   }
start $launch

Not the prettiest thing in the world but it works

I'm currently taking your advice, but am still a little bit confused.

Are you referring to a "powershell script?"

I tried loading up powershell.exe and pasting your code. It received a bunch of errors. Obviously I'm doing it wrong, but I think your idea is the simplest and will work. Just need a little bit more help.... ?

Thanks brother.

I look forward to your feedback.

I'm currently taking your advice, but am still a little bit confused.

Are you referring to a "powershell script?"

I tried loading up powershell.exe and pasting your code. It received a bunch of errors. Obviously I'm doing it wrong, but I think your idea is the simplest and will work. Just need a little bit more help.... ?

Thanks brother.

I look forward to your feedback.

Bakerman can you copy and paste your errors? Also can you run

$PSVERSIONTABLE

and copy/paste the output so I can troubleshoot. Thanks!

I think this what derekablackburn is talking about...

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-create-and-run-a-powershell-script.html

Will this tutorial work?

Yes it will! Make sure you run the set-executionpolicy remotesigned before trying to run any script files as they will fail if you do not, you only have to do it once. Also you may have to run powershell as administrator to make the policy change.

If you put my script in a .ps1 file (you can do this in notepad) and it still will not run post the output and I'll fix it.

Yes it will! Make sure you run the set-executionpolicy remotesigned before trying to run any script files as they will fail if you do not, you only have to do it once. Also you may have to run powershell as administrator to make the policy change.

If you put my script in a .ps1 file (you can do this in notepad) and it still will not run post the output and I'll fix it.

Lol!

Awesome...

but I tell you what. You try it to, because you'll probably get it quicker than me and then post the results. LOL!

Thanks for your help man.

Lol!

Awesome...

but I tell you what. You try it to, because you'll probably get it quicker than me and then post the results. LOL!

Thanks for your help man.

Okay two things.. you have to save this into a .ps1 file to work, just verified that myself. If it still doesn't work you will need to update your powershell http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40855

Shelling Windows is way easier than people often think. If you have the Pro version or above just look for the 'Custom UI' group policy setting. It will load an .exe of your choice instead of loading explorer.exe.

If you have a look at my post list I've got a quick guide in there somewhere - it's like two steps.

Put it in your startup folder and disable explorer at startup in msconfig.

Items in the start menu folder are only processed once explorer.exe has loaded though ain't they?

Items in the start menu folder are only processed once explorer.exe has loaded though ain't they?

Yes, just found that out. My Hyperspin.ps1 loads up just fine, but it still runs at desktop. I deactivated explorer.exe in the registry, yet the powershell script "reactivates" explorer.exe and still loads up at the desktop.

This script is very close to what I'm looking for.

Watch this video... You'll see what I'm talking about on this dude's computer at the 0:04 mark of the ensuing video in this link...

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?32939-HyperBezel-%28Show-two-images-at-the-sides-of-HyperSpin-when-using-16-9-Monitors%29

This is what I'm hoping to achieve, but without having to create multiple "operating systems."

The script typed out earlier in this thread will work just fine - Is there a way to fine tune it to where it runs EXACTLY at startup? Preferably BEFORE the boot screen logo...?

Put it in your startup folder and disable explorer at startup in msconfig.

I disabled explorer.exe in the registry, because I wasn't able to through msconfig. In fact it wasn't listed. ??

Archived