My 2nd cab build (new machine/s just bought)

jq_quint

Ok so i'm on the vinegar stokes now on my last build (Atari Machine), and so couldn't help but snap up these over xmas:

x2 ex bookie cabs with beaut touch screen 19's...

2012-12-31165311.jpg

Yes I know I haven't finished my last one yet (as the wife keeps reminding me), but I couldn't resist...

So my plans:

colour scheme - not sure yet? But I love some of the simple colour schemes on the candy cabs website (very similar shape) http://candy-cabs.com/4.html

May get this over to my folks garage and get my spray gear out...

emulators - not too mad, mame/snes/megadrive at least

pc - replace current under spec'd P4 with something with a little more grunt (maybe just a P4 HT + 120gd HD (current is only 25gb))

artwork - may keep this to a minimal, marquee+graphics in front of control panel, delends on colour scheme really

Control panel - I need to be creative with the space I have I think and make use of the cutouts where the note and money feeders went (maybe start and coin buttons)

BUT I also really want to turn this into a media centre, so I've already started to setup xbmc and its so awesome.....the touch screen will make it an awesome juke box., then maybe run HS from xbmc, dunno not figured that out yet...

anyway some more pics:

With tilt body in up position:

2013-01-01111113.jpg

Pc (after ripping out all sorts):

2013-01-01111547.jpg

All sorts:

2013-01-01111102.jpg

After some strip down:

2013-01-01111004.jpg

My ultimate aim is to create a "WIFE FRIENDLY" machine, so it can be house bound.....

I'll keep you posted as I go....

Nice cabs in good condition with lots of potential. What are your plans game-wise for these jq_quint? Jukebox sounds cool too.

Hi Eric, yes They really are good condition, everything I am stripping off is well made and easily accessible, so far so good, these cabs seem to have great build quality.

Game wise really depends on what the pc can handle...

I have just bought this : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230862935349?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 (yes I need some more ram too)

I would love to finally get my taito games working properly (gave up after last pc wasn't upto it), but its not critical for this build.

I'm most excited about getting xbmc and HS together, maybe even use this base to stream to my tv, so this machine would, a) play games B) act as a jukebox c) stream movies to tv.....and i'm thinking will shell into xbmc but we'll see how i get on..

I'm really not that good with speakers and such so once i undertand what i have i'll post back with some questions...

JQ

Folks need advice on this -----

At the top of the cab I have this device which connects to my x2 speakers:

Its connected via the pc usb port, and has power in/out + the speaker feeds

2013-01-03194449.jpg

2013-01-03194251.jpg

2013-01-03194303.jpg

So is this simply an external sound card mountewd in the cab instead of the pc Or an amplifier ?

The output sound from the x2 small speakers isn't great so i need to understand my options....bigger seakers from the device OR an amp?

I really haven't a clue with audio equipment so any advice appreciated....p.s as this is intended to be a juke box sound quality is imperitive...

I can see the amp transistor and heatsink on the left, so it looks to be a pre-amp and amp. Does not seem to be enough power to do what you want to do tho! To make things easy, you may want to run the speaker wires into a high pass filter and then into a larger amp.

I can see the amp transistor and heatsink on the left, so it looks to be a pre-amp and amp. Does not seem to be enough power to do what you want to do tho! To make things easy, you may want to run the speaker wires into a high pass filter and then into a larger amp.

thanks for confirming Nitussi....

i think the speakers are under rated too, but either way what is the high pass filter for, sound filtering (clarity) or a protection device? (i'm an audio dumb ass)..

In fact what exactly would i need for a good sound output? When you say amp, you referring to the type that monkey has jus bought?

thanks for confirming Nitussi....

i think the speakers are under rated too, but either way what is the high pass filter for, sound filtering (clarity) or a protection device? (i'm an audio dumb ass)..

In fact what exactly would i need for a good sound output? When you say amp, you referring to the type that monkey has jus bought?

Sorry I meant high level filter or high to low impedance converter, basically it takes the amplified current going to the speakers and changes it back down to pre-amp levels so you do not blow your new amplifier. Mostly used in car audio because factory radios generally do not come with low level outs (RCA connections). If you are keeping the same setup, it just makes it easier to increase the your sound levels.

Those little t-amps you are talking about are cool, I use them myself--just make sure it has the Tripath 2020A(+) chip in it. Class-T amplifiers offer the audio fidelity of Class-AB amps combined with the power efficiency of Class-D amplifiers. Which basically means very clean and high efficiency--power going out to the speakers, almost equals the power that is coming in from the wall.

Here I used one in a previous build. I extended the volume pot so I could put it where I wanted.. to have easy access.

post-20997-142870583204_thumb.jpg

post-20997-142870583202_thumb.jpg

Nit - you make it sound all very easy lol, I can see me opting out and getting a plug n play pc speaker system and plug into the audio jack, maybe a cheap 2.1 system , will i get good enough sound with this method? Also with the pc I have just bought I do not have a dedicated sound card, do i need one for optimum performance?

Anyway while i'm here, my pc arrived yesterday:

Windows XP

HP XW4300 Workstation

3.4ghz HT P4

1gb ram (will order more)

ATi FireGL V3100

Integrated Sound

160gb HDD (Jukebox Media running off separate HD)

2013-01-06203227_zps419c4423.jpg

Still really setting it up, I copied across my HS folder from another setup but it needs tweaking, so been playing around with this over the weekend, hence not much cab work done..

I personally stick with integrated sound and do not know if there is a major advantage to having a dedicated sound card. Probably depends on the emulator. Others may want to chime in on that. Guess if the sound is not to your liking, you have to get a sound card maybe.

Your pc setup is fine if you are not running dreamcast or above. If you are, then you would def need a better video card.

I personally stick with integrated sound and do not know if there is a major advantage to having a dedicated sound card. Probably depends on the emulator. Others may want to chime in on that. Guess if the sound is not to your liking, you have to get a sound card maybe.

Your pc setup is fine if you are not running dreamcast or above. If you are, then you would def need a better video card.

ok thanks for the advice nitussi...

I ran soul calibre last night on DC and it ran excellent, i was really surprised just how well it looked.....Not sure if soul calibre would be classed as requiring a higher end pc, but it seemed to work fie to me.......Will continue to test...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

So after some time off I'm on this build, been without a workng build now for some time and both me and the kids need some gaming back in our lives....

So finally got round to kocking up the upper and lower control panel for the first machine..pics below:

image_zpsf07d3601.jpg

image_zpsbfadb3f6.jpg

image_zps97ef7482.jpg

I have created some art for the control panels but judgement is out yet as to what I'll eventually go with. I'm even tempted for a simple carbon fibe wrap...Also not decided in final cab colour yet, was thinking of cherry red....

Will be back with updates soon.....at least now we can get somegaming done in the mean time...

pretty dang cool man, theres been a couple of fancy 7 liner machines on craigslist around here that ive wanted to do something similar to

Thanks Hazzard, well I know these aren't everones cup of tea, but i do aim to get spotify up and running on it with an uprated speaker system, also as the screens are touch screens it means i just need to also sort out an on screen keyboard.......

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to painting the cab hinge top...

Primered:

IMG_0641_zps2ca1ab2a.jpg

Red cost (applied a few)

IMG_0660_zpscf40b596.jpg

Then applied lacquer today, need to re-flat tomorrow and re-coat though...

IMG_0764_zpsba270ef1.jpg

Then I think i'm going to go for a carbon fibre wrap for the upper and lower control panels..... I have a scrap piece lying around here so i'll offer up tomorrow to see if it looks ok.....

• 4 months later...

Archived