Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Light gun recommendations

Frosty

Have you looked into the AimTrak guns or modules....I make usb guns with the Guncon II shells with the AimTrak.

I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can.

I unfortunately don't have any experience with the Top Gun.

Ultimarc and recoil can be done but it's not natively supported. You'd have to wire up something like a small pinball machine coil to "thump" every time. Guncon shells probably won't have enough room for that.

Ultimarc and recoil can be done but it's not natively supported. You'd have to wire up something like a small pinball machine coil to "thump" every time. Guncon shells probably won't have enough room for that.

Gotcha I read where it is a sort of weighted kick. Do you know of any preassembled usb "sliding" recoil usb light guns available? Like the old time crisis ones?

Do you have an LCD or CRT display?

I spent weeks trying to perfect the WiiMote Lightgun option (using the remote from a Wii console) but every time I got it working great, as soon as I stood in a different spot or handed it over to another player, the calibration was out! Also it would have taken some mega tweaking to get it to a 'Pick up gun and play without pairing' stage.

I then went for the TopGun 3, which uses a similar method, but with four IR points that supposedly gives better accuracy. The downside is that you have to hold the gun a minimum of 45 inches away from the screen (this varies with the width of your screen, but thats what it was for me). Not to mention the four wired IR leds that have ugly cable that needs hiding some way. The Top Gun still suffered from the issues with the WiiMote, needing recalibrating almost everytime you stand a few inches to either side of where you were when you calibrated it. It wasn't a good enough solution for me so I let my friend take it off my hands to use it in a non-cab environment.

Just when I thought all hope was lost, I decided to risk one of the (now discontinued) Act-Labs USB light guns which only work on CRT displays (i'm running a 21" CRT VGA monitor in my cab) and all I can say is - why the hell didn't I go for that in the first place?!

It is almost pixel perfect, wherever you are standing and whoever is holding the gun (ie, I can pass it to my 10 year old neice without re-calibrating). I made a video to send to my friend of me testing it playing Point Blank via MAME. Not very good quality video but can see how responsive the gun is. Only drawback for some (not for me) is the white flash you get with each shot, but I don't mind that since the old arcade games I remember used to do that too!

If you have an LCD screen you will need one of the IR based solutions, I haven't tried an AimTrack due to the high cost and risk of accuracy when i've never tried one.

Hope that helps!

Do you have an LCD or CRT display?

I spent weeks trying to perfect the WiiMote Lightgun option .......... haven't tried an AimTrack due to the high cost and risk of accuracy when i've never tried one.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info! Thanks for the heads up on the calibration issues also... Sounds like that could be annoying especially at a party or around kids. I am using an 19 inch LCD monitor mounted in my cab, so I guess that leaves me with the IR based guns.

Ultimark does a recoil kit to add to the existing gun but i believe you need to either buy a new shell and take the gubbins out..or modify the existing gun shell

http://www.ultimarc.com/recoil.html

Saw that kit as well. Are there ones being made nowadays with sliding recoil action? Or is that a heavily modded kind of thing?

Not that im aware of that you can buy off the shelf. There are people modding the aimtrack gubbins to fit in other guns though.

Real arcade gun (playstation 1 i think)

Namco Gun:

djvj touts the aimtraks I know, they have been tempting to me.

expensive though so hard to take the plunge. I miss $30 light guns that worked the balls. I wish companies spending millions of dollars like Sony and Nintendo could have just gotten it right for me. LCD's are old at this point it's taking too damn long. A super high fps webcam in the gun and an IR gridline projected on screen seems so obvious to me.

Archived