Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Nintendo NES PC Build

jcrowley30

Ah...I missed that you changed it to a 3.5 HDD at one point, you did start with a 2.5 HDD on your part list so. I could have told you straight away that the 3.5 HDD won't fit :(

Too bad your MB didn't have a M.2 port, then you could have had a superfast M.2 drive for OS and HS and a normal 2.5 HDD for roms.

Yea I did start with a 2.5 in my list.  I was 0-2 in my changes I tried to make.  The good thing with this is I could also add a SSD down the line since I will probably mount the smaller hard drive under the motherboard.

Here are the updates:

Fans have been secured to the top of the case to allow more airflow, they will both be controlled by the motherboard.

20160106_212356.jpg

Switched back to the first version of the power button that I made.  I was able to better secure it to the case and it works much better now.

20160106_212454.jpg

True...but like you know the CPU fan is intake, so it's good to have a lot of cool air inside the case to begin with...still, the hot air needs to get out. I would have made them outtake myself. Will be interesting to see how your temperatures are working. I only have a small outtake fan at the rear myself, but if your setup is working I will add two outtakes on the top and change the back to intake...or the other way around...I'll have to test it, pretty hard to change the direction if they are glued down though.

True...but like you know the CPU fan is intake, so it's good to have a lot of cool air inside the case to begin with...still, the hot air needs to get out. I would have made them outtake myself. Will be interesting to see how your temperatures are working. I only have a small outtake fan at the rear myself, but if your setup is working I will add two outtakes on the top and change the back to intake...or the other way around...I'll have to test it, pretty hard to change the direction if they are glued down though.

I will post my temps once I get it up and running.  Right now I am waiting two days for delivery of the new hard drive and then I have to find someplace to solder where I don't set off smoke alarms, the usb cords I ordered are way too long so I need to do something to shorten them.  I also have to solder the light for the power button.

Soldering usually doesn't affect smoke alarms at least around here, maybe they are more sensitive over at your part of the world. I solder stuff all around different places and never had a problem so far. But don't take my word for it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Long Overdue Update:

New hard drive is installed into the top of the case, will upload a picture tonight.  The USB extension cords I purchased were too long and don't fit in the case, so I wont be using them.  I tried to cut and solder them but it was a disaster so I ended up just scrapping them and ordering 4 shorter cords.  Of course these parts come from China so I will be waiting another two weeks for them to arrive.

I started up the PC with the case open and everything connected.  It worked I am happy to say, and I was able to install windows 7.  I will work on getting hyperspin on to it sometime soon as I am wanting this project to be finished!

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I have a nespc I stopped using a month or two ago and was thinking of selling. It is an older PC but runs hyperspin and has a blu ray installed in the cart slot. I started using it mainly for kodi. Then I got a dedicated kodi box w a wireless remote. If you give up on your project, let me know and I will sell you mine complete for probably less than your budget.

Good luck on your build and cheers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I have a nespc I stopped using a month or two ago and was thinking of selling. It is an older PC but runs hyperspin and has a blu ray installed in the cart slot. I started using it mainly for kodi. Then I got a dedicated kodi box w a wireless remote. If you give up on your project, let me know and I will sell you mine complete for probably less than your budget.

Good luck on your build and cheers.

I am mostly done with the build.  The frustrating times were from me getting parts that did not fit and having to wait for things to ship from China.  Other than that I am happy with how the build is going.  I am going to overclock this also so a less powerful pc would not work for what I have planned.  I want to run ps2 and gamecube.  Thanks for the heads up anyhow though.

-John

I agree with waiting on china. My suggestion if you want to play gc would be to add gc ports to back of nes. Mayflash sells 4 port USB gc adaptor. I was going to add that to my nespc but I ended up getting adaptor too late bc it was backordered. Anyway adaptor cost about 20 on amazon, it has 4 ports and most importantly you can use the wavebird. Using the wavebird will go a long way when you are lazy and tired of nes controller length.

Archived