Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Old driving cab conversion

8bitbobby

Hello fellow 'Spinners' first off I want to thank everyone on this site for all of their hardwork, dedication and all-out awesomeness at creating, maintaining, and resurrecting this 'retro' scene. I first discovered Hyperspin about 8 months ago when I began work on my first MAME cabinet and have never looked back! Though I haven't formally introduced myself nor posted on these forums before I have read alot of the posts and gotten so much help from everyone here that I feel like I know some of you already. Today I come to you with a question (or several maybe).

I recently bought an old 'Grand Champion' standup driving cabinet (Taito, 1981) everything works great and all, but I just wonder what the process would be to use the Steering Wheel, Accelerator pedal, and Low/high shifter with mame? Can you interface these through a computer? Or am I gonna be faced with scrapping them in place of a USB equivalent? They obviously work with the arcade board that is in there, but does anyone on here have any experience with converting single game driving cabinets into Mame cabinets that would play several driving games using the existing hardware?

I am honestly torn between fixing this one up and leaving it original (as it is more than 30 years old) or still cleaning it up, but converting it to Mame to be my 'racing game' cabinet.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Ultimarc "A-PAC" is what you're after (not the IPAC).

http://ultimarc.com/

Assuming you want to keep everything analog axis's

Before you jump into MAME - think of the game you want to play with that setup. Driving games are quite different from joystick / button games.

This thread is a great read for the basic ideas and concepts - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,105961.0.html

Thank you very much for your reply. After reading through the article I will caution my approach. As of right now I have a working machine that plays Grand Champion perfectly... so I might leave well enough alone. But if I do decide to delve into it I'll be sure and post about my progress.

Archived