What are you guys using for amplifiers?

Dr. Willy

It sounds like you're close to reaching the the same conclusion I did with the Lepai: by the time you buy it and a decent crossover, you might as well have bought a better amp.

Depending on the circumstances and what speakers you match it with, the Lepai may be an okay option. But for not too much more money, a decent car amp is likely to be better built and perform better. I think the Lepai is a decent value, and for some people obviously it performs acceptably. Of course, what is considered 'acceptable' sound quality is pretty subjective. What sounds good to some can be much different to others with higher standards. It's also possible that some of those that are content with the sound quality of the Lepai may be mostly playing VP tables, which typically have less than stellar sound samples (understatement?) anyway, so deficiencies in the sound system probably aren't likely to be as noticeable. Some of the Future Pinball stuff and new games like PBFX2 typically are going to have cleaner audio which will be more likely to expose any deficiencies in the gear.

The only 'downside' to a car amp compared to the Lepai is the fact that you've got to power it with an external power supply, so you have to make sure you have one beefy enough to handle the load.

Basically, I think the Lepai is a crapshoot. So, IMHO, if you're willing to pay a bit more for quality, the safest bet is probably going to be a 4-channel car amp with adjustable crossover that is bridgeable (assuming you do have a subwoofer) matched with a capable power supply.

Those were my thoughts. I have spent a little bit of today looking around for a decent amp, kinda best bang for buck type situation and this is the best ive seen so far, however where is no way you need all that wattage, but it has the rest of the goods like crossover and bridgeable inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLAM1600-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B001LOOBJU#productDetails

I went with an old school Orion 222SX amp I had from back in the day...running that with a dedicated 12v DC 10A power supply. I'm running it bridged, powering a pair of JBL speakers on the backglass and a Pioneer 8 inch Free-Air sub with a crossover. It sounds great...just hope to finish my build soon and have it all running together.

Archived