Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Which hard drive?

lqlegit

So I have a habit of overthinking things sometimes and this is one of them. I am looking to buy a 3 or 4tb hard drive since my 1tb won't be enough since I caught the bug of HyperSpin and emulation. 

I am ready to pull the trigger, but am scared to get a bad one. For example the 3tb Seagate with high failure rates and WD and Seatgate 4tb are only 5200rpm. 

Advice on my crazy overthinking would be nice. 

P.S. I would prefer to save money and not buy a WD black since all I want is a reliable drive for my games. 

Buy a WD red or black internal.....buy a wd mybook for backup. (You will thank me) After your first crash or the day that hyperspin magically forgets and deletes files needed for operation......Or while downloading from a somewhat questionable website and catching a virus.

Dont mean to sound like a jerk but...do it right or dont bother doing it at all....the small savings is not worth the loss of months/years of work.

Just sayin.......

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Don't buy 3TB Seagates indeed. But I've personally only had a WD drive fail, all my 2 & 4TB Seagates seem to be fine. All in all there's no real definitive brand of hard drives. Couple of brands own most of the rest, bad drive models are among all brands and personal experience is not really that important. All hardware has failure rates, hard drives will fail on you from time to time. The best thing to do is back everything you do not want to loose on another drive, period. 

I've had Hitachi, Samsung, Seagate, Wester Digital, Toshiba and maybe some more. Only the WD drive failed on me within a reasonably short time. Two other 200GB drives eventually failed last year, after more than a decade of loyal service and another external drive failed because the person I lend it to dragged it off his table walking through the cables while it was on.

Do I now say WD is bad? Not at all, do some research before buying, but only trust good reviews like storagereviews

I believe the you want to stay away from 3TB Seagate (weird platter thing on some but not all of the 3TB models), their current 8TB drive that's like half the price of the competition and some WD green drives (known issues). Avoid Intenso & Toshiba and not well known brands (these tend to use the cheapest Toshiba drives)

4TB drives seem to have the best bang for their buck atm. Just go for any of the major brands (WD, HGST, Toshiba, Seagate), don't pay too much for things you don't need like NAS/Surveillance/etc. optimization. For instance a WB Blue (regular desktop use) is good enough, you absolutely do not need a Black (performance) or Red (NAS). But you could go for black for a bit of extra performance for a bit of extra money.

Thank you both. Yeah I have a 2tb wd my passport which isn't even enough the more I get addicted to adding more systems. Rust2dust, you don't sound like a jerk at all lol, thanks for the help. I'll make sure to keep my backups and schedule more. I may get one of those, I have just heard you don't really need black for emulation and red is 5900rpm I believe, so I didn't know if that made a difference. 

4TB drives seem to have the best bang for their buck atm. Just go for any of the major brands (WD, HGST, Toshiba, Seagate), don't pay too much for things you don't need like NAS/Surveillance/etc. optimization. For instance a WB Blue (regular desktop use) is good enough, you absolutely do not need a Black (performance) or Red (NAS). But you could go for black for a bit of extra performance for a bit of extra money.

THK: Yeah I figured to stay away from the Seagate 3tb drives. The thing is the 4tb WD and Seagate are both only 5900rpm. Would 5900rpm be too slow when it comes to emulation? I did see a Toshiba 5tb hard drive that was 7900rpm and cheaper than the 4tb for $145 on Amazon. HGST has a 4tb hard drive that is NAS (even though I wouldn't use it) but about the same price as the Toshiba one. 

​I'll give storagereviews a read as well, but if you think 5900rpm is fine, I'll grab a WD blue or Seagate. Or if faster makes a difference, I'll bite the bullet and buy the WD black or one of the other two I mentioned for 5tb or the one with NAS if I can use that in a regular desktop. Too much overthinking, tell me what you would buy from those please so I can stop doing what if's haha. 

My internal is a WD Red. No slow downs at all....just make sure your pc and video card are up to the task. At least 3.0 ghz and a modest video card I am running a gtx 650......butter....

Also buy a bigger drive than you think you need......I started with a 4tb, 2 years ago....I now have a full 6tb and may be upgrading again soon.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Just look at some hdd reviews and you'll see most speed lost on the lower rpm drives is writing speed which isn't that much of a problem. Also a 5900 rpm 4TB drive is sometimes about as fast as a 2TB 7200rpm drive.

I've installed plenty of big modern games on my SSD OS drive as well as on one of my 4TB Seagate drives with not any noticeable longer loading times (I do have a beefy system though) it really depends on the game or in case of Roms the size of it and if & how it needs to be decompressed.

I have very little experience with decompressing large roms/disk images for emus though.

Only I would just install a firmware update before you start using them , because these fixes a bug that causes your disk , the few seconds of his landing zone with the result that you will soon have a very high LOAD_CYCLE_COUNT.

from a dutch review

Here's a good review for the 6TB version

All three of you thanks for more input, I am going to buy one for sure this weekend. Yeah the space I need keeps getting bigger and bigger.  My biggest concern was failure and the 5900rpm, which looks like neither should be an issue for most 4tb drives. The 4tb seagate seems to be the cheapest right now on Amazon, but there's not huge price differences in some of the others. 4tb seagate for $115, WD blue for $128 and WD red for $150. 

20+TB wow well, I'll make my way up there eventually as I see the amount of space needed for some consoles. My ocd makes me want to own every game of a system even if I don't play a lot of them just as a completionist which adds up a lot on newer systems. 

SSD:

1TB main OS drive, 250GB PS scratch disk

HDD:

3x 4TB

1x 2Tb

2x 1.5TB

1x 1TB

so 19+ TB, would've been exactly 20 if I counted my external 750gb drive :)

Challenge accepted, I'll let you know one day when I reach that amount of TB's in my system haha. 

Archived