Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Need help with decased monitor power switch!

mrfmund

Hey guys

Just decased a hu196d monitor I got off eBay to measure it up for my bartop.

The PCB is a little more complex than I had anticipated and I am not sure how to wire up the power switch to an arcade button.

The first pic shows the push to make buttons - the middle one that sits higher than the others with the led next to it is the power switch.4ytade9y.jpg

When I flip it round, the switch has 4 pins solders to the PCB, when I was only expecting 2. The 2 pins closer together are for the led.

by3uva8u.jpg

My initial guess is that a run wires from each of the pins to my arcade micro switch, connecting a matching pair from each side of the push to make switch to a single pin on the arcade micro switch.

It is but a guess though, and I don't want to balls this up and have the monitor blow up on first play through!

My end game would be to have a single arcade switch on the back than when pressed fires up both the PC and the monitor, and my assumption is that I can simply connect wires from the monitor and the PC to the arcade micro switch without needing anything extra - again, this is an assumption, so please correct me if I am wrong.

Any help and wisdom would be greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

To wire an arcade switch to your monitor's on button is really simple. You simply connect the two wires from the arcade button to a diagonal set of pins on that button. So if you connect one wire from the arcade button to the top left pin, then you connect the other wire to the bottom right. There is nothing dangerous for your monitor for this minor hack. As far as the monitor is concerned it is still just sensing a button press, you just now have two buttons that serve the same function. You can test this functionality by simply shorting the two pins with a length of wire, it should be the same as if you pushed the button.

Turning on a computer is also very simple. There is a two pin connection on your motherboard that is ready for a power button that is usually installed on the computer case. If you are taking apart an existing computer you should be able to trace the wires back to the motherboard. If you have a new motherboard, then check the manual for the I/O headers. The type of button used on a computer case is electrically identical to an arcade button.

But I don't think you want to simply connect both of these to a single arcade button. That would probably have some weird behavior. And could possible damage something.

what most poeple here seem to recomend is getting some kind of load sensing power strip to put in your cab. Plug the computer into the load sensing outlet, and the monitor and any other periphrials into the other outlets. That way the monitor will turn on and off automatically with the computer. Then just use the arcade button technique from above to turn the computer on.

Hey blacketj

Thanks for the quick response, looking again at the circuit diagram, it make sense to use 2 diagonal pins like you said to complete the circuit. I'll try with a piece of wire tomorrow like you suggested.

I presume this approach should work with any monitor with a similar switch? I have another monitor of the same model to decase and then a smaller Dell.

The load sensing power strip is also a good idea, I should be able to find one of them in the UK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

• 2 weeks later...
what most poeple here seem to recomend is getting some kind of load sensing power strip to put in your cab. Plug the computer into the load sensing outlet, and the monitor and any other periphrials into the other outlets. That way the monitor will turn on and off automatically with the computer. Then just use the arcade button technique from above to turn the computer on.

Just to clarify; the monitor doesn't turn "on" per se, does it? The power strip merely supplies power to the monitor and you have to manually turn it on. Or am I wrong here?

after de-casing the screens for my cabs i left the pcb's for the switches as they are (just taped them to the back of the screen), as the monitors usually keep the power on state after they are powered off, so they will automatically power on when mains power is applied to the screen.

no need to mess around with extending the button.

the only button i extended was the power switch for the PC from the motherboard header.

Archived