Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

LED / Second screen for a cabinet

AxelTerizaki

Hello.

Sorry if this might soon like a noob's question.

I'm currently working on a cabinet with a friend. So far we haven't decided on anything specific, and are still in the planning stages.

I'd like to add a screen at the top of the cabinet, which could display a few things, like the name of the system used, or the game, or both, or even an artwork of it.

The main problem is, I have no idea of what I should look for, both for hardware or software.

- Are there any small screens that I could buy somewhere to act as a second monitor and put on top of the cab?

- Or should I go for a LED display, if so which would be best/offer the most configuration options?

- As for the software, how does it work? What should I install/buy ? Do any Hyperspinners here have a working solution already, if so what do you use?

I have a lot of questions on the matter, thanks in advance for your answers.

There's another thread here on the forum where they posted a link to some stretched displays. (29" wide)

You will need to make a decision on how wide you want that second monitor, because when you see them you have to be ready to move on the purchase.

Here's one that I was watching that was 38" so you could run a big screen in your cab with this on top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200938551020?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Hate to say it, but if you plan to run that second monitor, you should buy it first then plan you cab width around it. Because this will be you second biggest cost, only second to the computer.

Sandman: that was exactly what I was looking for... but damn, that's quite expansive indeed.

What about LED displays like BetaBrite and such? Sure, it doesn't provide the same feel as a second screen to display a wheel for example, but it could be okay for my needs.

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy one? Or are there other models/manufacturers I should consider?

Actually real betabrites not really that much cheaper. But I'm a little out of my element with those. I actually was going to set one up before the 2nd and 3rd monitor software was released. Maybe when I get home I can post some links, I'm out at a party right now where they have some fake snow, so it will be a little. (In Florida this is what we have to resort to)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

EDIT: Here's a full color used one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BETABRITE-Full-Color-Prism-LED-SIGN-Programmable-26-100-complete-/251390149058

I decided to go the cheaper route and get a 16" 16:9 USB DisplayLink monitor from AOC for abou $130. It actually works better IMHO because I use or8ital's HyperSpin Helper and only some MAME games actually have marquee art that require 16:3. The vast majority of systems (non-MAME) do not have marquee artwork and so wheel art is used instead which fits nicely on 16:9.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?28640-Gooch-Haz-Arcade

Archived