My first Cabinet

mrxtreme

I've seen so many people with videos of their own custom cabinets and I decided to jump in and give it a shot!

:pcguru:I searched through he forums here and even became a gold member and got hyperspin working with a bunch of emulators a few still need some work but so far its working!

I put together an old pc that i had from spare parts (not great but runs) and it is able to run hyperspin although I will replace the pc with something with more power.

the arcade cabinet itself I searched through craiglist and found someone selling one (who was also building hyperspin cabinets) for $50 bucks so I said LETS DO THIS!! :cheers:

the cabinet is an old Devastators cabinet which was in ok shape (some work needed) :hmmmm2: but its a work in progress... post-98285-142870616581_thumb.jpg

I was going to go all out and build a joystick board with LED buttons but since this is my first cabinet i wanted to see something up and working soon (or i get distracted and the cabinet just sits there)

so i purchased the x-arcade dual joystick controller

post-98285-142870616583_thumb.jpg

I was able to remove the original joystick panel from the machine and the x-arcade pretty much fits right into the area.. I will need to cut the board under it to better fit the controller.

post-98285-14287061659_thumb.jpg

oh and the monitor is an acer 24 inch monitor which fit perfectly into the box and to get it into the box with out a stand i used a arm like the pictures below

post-98285-142870616594_thumb.jpg

once i get a sander I will sand off all the paint and re-paint the machine fully glossy black or a Flat gun black

Couple things I ran into is configure the x-arcade to work propperly with hyperspin and the other games... I need to bash my head a bit more to get it right...:banghead:

also if i wanted to add more buttons say using a jamma board would that work along side the x-arcade? I'm guessing it will since its just another USB connection controller but not fully sure...

and I just want to thank everyone here on this site... with all the help and everyone adding input I was able to put this together :)

here is the machine in action

UPDATE:

created a marquee to go on the machine ... im not the best at this but hey think i did ok :)

post-98285-142870617486_thumb.jpg

post-98285-142870616585_thumb.jpg

post-98285-142870616588_thumb.jpg

post-98285-142870616592_thumb.jpg

This is pretty much the same thing I did with my cab I for one like the x arcade tankstick only drawback is not being able to program the default switch I had to keymap a few emulators because they use keys like shift and alt in the main switch many.

Most people here frown at using the x arcade in a build but if you don't have the woodworking tools or skills to do your own panel then I think its a good solution.

You can easily open up your x arcade and mount a jamma in it to add more buttons but it has plenty for me.

This is pretty much the same thing I did with my cab I for one like the x arcade tankstick only drawback is not being able to program the default switch I had to keymap a few emulators because they use keys like shift and alt in the main switch many.

Most people here frown at using the x arcade in a build but if you don't have the woodworking tools or skills to do your own panel then I think its a good solution.

You can easily open up your x arcade and mount a jamma in it to add more buttons but it has plenty for me.

ah! i didnt even think about opening up the arcade stick to add more buttons! thanks!

and yes i dont have the tools or the skills to build my own joystick configuration so yeah the xarcade is a dream.

i did ran into that problem of some of the games not being able to have the same switch button but if i can add more buttons to it than ill do that and have custom buttons :)

now i just need to do more research in the light guns to add that to the build and fun fun :D

the components used in the x arcade are garbage. I still don't get why people think that using these and a 16:9 led monitor ist going to give them the arcade experience from their childhood. Get back to the drawing board. Building a control panel isn't that much work especially if the cabinet is already there. Before you start adding lightguns that WILL give you frustration to some point, especially if you're going to use anything besides mame, get the basics right first.

My 2 cents.

the components used in the x arcade are garbage. I still don't get why people think that using these and a 16:9 led monitor ist going to give them the arcade experience from their childhood. Get back to the drawing board. Building a control panel isn't that much work especially if the cabinet is already there. Before you start adding lightguns that WILL give you frustration to some point, especially if you're going to use anything besides mame, get the basics right first.

My 2 cents.

Thats pretty harsh ..... and i for one use a 32" 1080p LED display and i am very much happy with it....specialy running TTX and newer games for pc and the like.

and for normal use the xarcade stick is more than fine, SPECIALLY if you dont have the know how...no need to slam the guy for it at all.

Now thats my 50 cents.

and to mrxtreme....just do what you please...if you are happy with it then more power to you brother, cus in the end only you matter....build it for you and screw the rest.

good job and keep at it :)

No, that's not meant to be harsh, I'm just straight forward . I didn't slam the op (btw I think he's old enough to defend himself), I slammed everyone using this overpriced stick to put it into a cab that has everything you need to build your own control panel for less. There are so many tutorials around byoac about wiring and building it. If you don't have the tools to do this there is almost always someone around who has them.

Installing light guns can be a matter of minutes or a matter of headache. Especially for starters.

Sorry to the the op, didn't mean to discourage you. The monitor might be a matter of taste but no hlsl setting can be compared to a real crt. My conclusion : if you want to play mostly the old arcade games from the 80s and 90s you should look into a real crt that has been recapped. Maybe a trisync. If you don't want to use a crt you will need the some more horsepower for hlsl to make it at least look close. There are some good presets around the Internet.

thanks for the support alex! and endprodukt123 sorry for the late response i just read it today, i do enjoy the larger display and the games so far seem to look fine. they dont have the old school look like the crt days but i can live with that, plus playing some games in widescreen look pretty cool. i do like criticism (good or bad) because it helps me improve or see things in a different way so notes taken :) and ive read that the light guns are a headache so i hope i can figure it out and get some gaming going :D

• 1 month later...

Archived