Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Optocoupler board for flippers: motion board disconnects

dreamkey56

Hellooo.

New electronic part in my cab - a new problem in my cab :(

I made a small pcb according Wolfs opto circuit board. Took the drawing from Zebs homepage (Thank you again, Zeb!).

I wired it, and tested it. Works in hyperpin, and at the game well, but only a few seconds:

After, no function anymore of the flipper buttons, or any other button on my cab.

So, the motion plunger board stopped working.

If I check the function in windows,

it is not working anymore.

If I disconnect and connect again the USB connector,

it will be recognized,

and is working again.

If I start Visual Pinball, or hyperpin,

it is working again for a few seconds, and stops again.

Any idea?

Sounds strange....

:(

HP

Hello Zeb, first I wanna thank you again for helping me!

Then: I checked the cabling, and it seems ok to me:

The single black gnd cable of my motion board goes to pin 5 of the 4N35.

And this gnd is also connected to the switches of my buttons of my cab.

The common gnd of my cab goes to pin 2, according your drawing.

The other connections look like in your drawing.

Everything works a few seconds, also the LEDs on my little opto pcb are flashing, when I trigger the flipper buttons, but then, the motion board disconnects automatically.

What causes the motion board to disconnect?

How can the board "recognize" unusual things, to disconnect?

Is there a overload protection inbuilt, or how is it doing?

I am not the biggest fan of this board, as it isnt working, as I expected. Also the nudge function doesnt work correctly.

And if I use this joystickcenter .exe it causes more troubles again: when I start the table, it is nudging and tilting immediately. No playing possible.

But thats the next thing to solve..

Now, I am searching for the problem at my opto boards.

24Volts is ok for it, isnt it?

1000Ohms for the resistor is also ok?

What is the data of the needed LEDs? Anything special?

What I am wondering, if I look at the opto board from wolfsoft: why are there so many cables?

The board is for both flippers, and it seems, that there is a cab cable for each 4N35, and there is a motion board gnd cable also for each 4N35.

Why arent they connected directly on the board? Why are these cables separate?

As I have one pcb board for both flipper sides, I only have one gnd cable, and one cab gnd cable.

Because they are connected to the both 4N35 at my pcb board.

Did I missunderstood something?

Please help...

Thanks a lot!

HP

Try using a 2.2K resistor on each opto.

The led flickers as the voltage drops due to the led and the led inside the opto running at the same time, it's a good indicator of signal traffic making it to the opto.

The circuit was originally designed for the ipac keyboard encoder. To switch the ipac, you need to use the ground terminal (floating ground) on the ipac that has nothing at all to do with the common ground running through the cab. I don't know the pin configs of the motion board or whether it switches a dedicated ground like the ipac does. I've never used a motion board. I would suspect that the board is dropping out because you are sending a common ground pulse through a floating ground input.

You need 1 opto board, 1 contactor and 1 input on your encoder board for each flipper (if you look at the diagram it says one per side). You should have 2 wires for the switch, 2 wires for the contactor and 2 wires for the encoder. Remember that for the flipper switches you will be switching the + contactor voltage (I'm assuming 24v) and that you will need a diode on the contactor.

Hi.

2.2K Resistor also didnt help.

As I see, I connected everything correct.

Also the two different gnd.

What i have found: when I only connect opto board for left flipper, seems like it is working. Didnt test an hour, but a few minutes, and it didnt disconnect.

I will check, if it is the same, if I only connect right side. Hopefully the single right side will disconnect. In that case, there should be a failure on my right board. But its too late tonight.

Will write again, after I tested.

HP

Hi.

Tested again. Doesnt matter, which opto board i connect - left or right.

Strange, that it worked some days ago for a longer time.

LEDs ar correct. Dont know, what else I can do :(

Will disconnect and take away my opto boards. And later, I will change this stupid motion thing. And use IPAC. Causes too much troubles..

HP

Archived