The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

NooB Question about existing cabinet

Pango

I am completely new to mame .I have worked on arcade machines for a couple of years. I have an old Capcom Bowling arcade cabinet. The control panel is pretty small..7" x 23". Should I only install one player set of buttons or  am I better off trying to build it up and go with 2 player.? Mainly want retro games on this build for now.

post-122091-0-93813700-1470331115_thumb.jpg

I'm just not sure if you have enough room for a 2-player cab.  Maybe for a shmup or vertical scroller, where you have a stick and 2-3 buttons, tops.  My cp is at 34 inches wide and is very comfortable to 2 players.   But at nearly a foot more narrow, I just don't know if that will work in this cab.

post-19039-0-38435000-1470342225_thumb.jpg

One player only on a full size cab would be a shame. I have a bartop with a 22" X 7.5" CP and it's tight for two big people but it works. I also wouldn't do less than 6 buttons per player.

Another option that you might like (or maybe not) is to make the control panel wider than the arcade. You would need to make some modifications to the cabinet but it would give you the best outcome. You could have a 30"+ CP with it hanging over 4" per side. If you don't want to have an overhanging CP you could still trim the cabinet so there is no lip on the sides of the CP so you can maximize your 23" for a two player CP.

If you do decide to do a one player panel, definitely use the space to keep the trackball and buttons by moving them to the right.

Archived