The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

LED Buttons?

Tcrusenberry

1. are you sure the positive and negative aren't reversed? (most can only be wired one way)

2. are you sure you have the right voltage and amperage powering them?

3. are you sure there the bulbs are inserted and making contact?

4. is it possible they were connected improperly and the bulbs got burnt out?

5. are you sure the buttons are being powered? (they usually use a different power connection or LED controller than the micro switches)

More details about you setup or pictures would be helpful.

1. are you sure the positive and negative aren't reversed? (most can only be wired one way)

2. are you sure you have the right voltage and amperage powering them? 

3. are you sure there the bulbs are inserted and making contact?

4. is it possible they were connected improperly and the bulbs got burnt out?

5. are you sure the buttons are being powered? (they usually use a different power connection or LED controller than the micro switches)

More details about you setup or pictures would be helpful.

The led buttons worked before and the machine was put in storage. After unpacking the machine they just stopped working

1. yes they are wired correctly

2.correct voltage

3. they should be but I am double checking this

4.I don't think so

5. They have voltage and were tested

This is a good check list I will double check. If anything else comes to mind I am all ears and thank you!

post-124334-0-73887800-1473251056_thumb.jpg

Are you sure you aren't missing a second AC plug that powers only the LEDs? This would be pretty typical in a lot of setups. If you follow the wires that aren't connected to a micro switch on a button where do they go? Then what connections are being made from that controller or power supply?

Are you sure you aren't missing a second AC plug that powers only the LEDs? This would be pretty typical in a lot of setups. If you follow the wires that aren't connected to a micro switch on a button where do they go? Then what connections are being made from that controller or power supply?

I included a couple of pics maybe you see something I don't

The inside cab pic is the wire but it is not plugged in.

post-124334-0-08681000-1473439005_thumb.jpg

post-124334-0-90536400-1473439010_thumb.jpg

That is a very simple circuit. There are only two wires and positive and a negative (ground). The positive wire gets connected to the positive on the transformer and then daisy chains to each positive connection on the buttons. The negative gets wired to the negative on the transformer and then daisy chains to each negative connection on the buttons.

If this was once working like you mention there are really only three things that can be wrong.

1. the transformer is bad

2. there is break in one of the wires

3. all the bulbs are burnt out

Try testing for voltage at the last button the daisy chain connects to. If there is no voltage there then there is a break in one of the wires. Make sure you're testing the wires that go to the lights and not the micro switches since they are powered separately by your encoder. You can use a 9 volt battery and a couple of short wires to connect to just one button's LED and see if it lights up. You can also remove a bulb and hold it up to a light to see if the filament is broken.

Where do the other two wires that are connected to the transformer go? To the light for the marquee?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it has been awhile but I have narrowed my problem down to a couple of things. Is it possible all of my lights burnt out minus 1 (this light kinda flickers and is not as bright as it should be)? I have the correct voltage going to every button and no lights. I tested them with a 9V battery and they did not light up either. I have ordered some new led lights and will be replacing them and see if it is the lights. Anything else I could be missing?

thanks

I'm new when it comes to LEDbuttons but not new to LED technology. Please make sure that Mean Well driver deliveres the right voltage for the LEDs and also has enough power (wattage) to power them all at once.
Maybe they're 12v so your 9v battery only lit them very dimm or not at all even.

And just meter the output of the Mean Well to make sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well problem solved. Apparently during storage every led bulb burnt out (which is extremely rare)..... replaced the bulbs and works nicely. Only problem now is my trackball was lighted and to replace that LED I think I need to replace the entire trackball............

Isn't there an LED bulb underneath the trackball that illuminates it?

Archived