Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperspin - first (and only first) rom boots slowly

JamesRIves

Hi everyone,

A quick question -

I'm running HS/Rocketlauncher on Windows 10.  Everything works fine, but after I initially run Hyperspin, the very first ROM I attempt to execute (regardless of the system) always takes a very loooooong time to load - sometimes as long as 20 seconds.  I hit the start button -- and Hyperspin just sits idle for a lengthy period -- and then all of a sudden, Rocketlauncher takes over (as expected) and boots the ROM.  The funny thing is -- this only happens the very first time I launch a ROM.  After I launch the first ROM, exit back to HS, and launch other ROMs, everything works as expected (i.e., no delays whatsoever).  

Initially, I thought the initial delay might be caused by Windows processes loading in the background during the boot process, but I've ruled this out.  The delay always occurs when I boot the first ROM -- even if I allow Windows to fully boot and wait an extended period of time (e.g., an hour) before executing Hyperspin.  

I guess this is some sort of focus issue, but I really don't understand why this delay only occurs during the first boot of a ROM?  Or perhaps Rocketlauncher runs through some initial checks/audits the very first time it is executed (but not subsequently) and this causes a delay the first time RL is invoked? 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

P.S., my understanding is that virus scanners such as Windows Defender can sometimes cause this sort of delay -- however, my system is not routinely connected to the Internet.  Not sure whether Windows Defender and other antivirus programs still run in the background when Windows 10 isn't connected to the Internet?

Jim

• 2 months later...
On 28-11-2016 at 2:10 PM, JamesRIves said:

P.S., my understanding is that virus scanners such as Windows Defender can sometimes cause this sort of delay -- however, my system is not routinely connected to the Internet.  Not sure whether Windows Defender and other antivirus programs still run in the background when Windows 10 isn't connected to the Internet?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have exactly the same problem, do you already found a solution for this isue ?

greetz,

Ben

I use an external drive to store my HS setup and roms -- based on the feedback I received, the problem is caused by the amount of time it takes the drive to spin up and load the rom when the system is idle.  I suppose the solution would be to store the files on the local drive.  I think if I utilized one of the newer solid state drives (much faster access), it would likely solve the problem.

Jim 

Yes, it possibly could be caused by not creating exceptions for all your HyperSpin/RocketLauncher/Emulator in any anti-virus software that might be running.  That can cause everything to wait while it is checked.

It could also maybe be that you have your RocketLauncher troubleshooting log turned on... not sure. Those are just off the top of my head.

Archived