Pole position cockpit... Driving cab help needed!

SORHP

Hey guys

I acquired a Pole Position Cockpit, the wiring is a mess and the pp2 pcb is shot, the monitor is fine, and the cabinet is good... What to do now???

I see 3 options

1. Try spending a bunch of time and money fixing the pp2 and wiring to have an original all working. (It will break again eventually though)

2. Throw a computer with hyperspin in it with an ultimarc vga 5000, and have computer based racing games available to me.

3. Use an original xbox with a huge list of racing games including pole position. (If I go this route, I need some help getting the steering, shift and gas /break pedals converted to xbox controls)

What should I do??? Please someone with experience help me out!!!

post-9833-142870625566_thumb.jpg

post-9833-142870625568_thumb.jpg

What a great cabinet, I love mine! It was a terrific project for me and I really enjoy having it in my garag... I mean Mancave.

I did option #2. It was a fun project to research and build. I can play Super Sprint, Out Run all the PP games (I, II and the Japanese versions) and other spinner games like Tempest & Arkanoid. I even added an old school Alpine car stereo to it. If you need any pointers if you decide to go this route just give me a shout. Good luck!

post-20148-142870625579_thumb.jpg

What a great cabinet, I love mine! It was a terrific project for me and I really enjoy having it in my garag... I mean Mancave.

I did option #2. It was a fun project to research and build. I can play Super Sprint, Out Run all the PP games (I, II and the Japanese versions) and other spinner games like Tempest & Arkanoid. I even added an old school Alpine car stereo to it. If you need any pointers if you decide to go this route just give me a shout. Good luck!

That's totally awesome! Do you have a thread where you did the work?

Sorry, I'm not that smart to have done that. It's been a few years and it was like you know a labor of love. Lots of hurdles but I'm happy to share what I remember.

I started here. It was a great breakdown of what's involved and I even got an email response from Dave at the time about the wheel. I ended up going the hacked mouse route like he did. It was easier than I thought. The other steps were taken from his build and I bought some parts from Andy at Ultrimarc to get 'er done. Here's the website:

http://www.classicplastic.net/dvgi/

Click on 'Special/ Home Arcade' on the left. Then click the PP marquee.

Check it out and you can fire away any and all questions you may have. I'd vote Mame for sure, it's really a special cab to say the least. People flip out when they see it. People of all ages are able to play. Very cool project.

I love your builds. Wow, you might not need my help seeing your handy work. Very impressive builds. A Nintendo Vs... are you kidding me, awesome!!

I'll send you a friend invite. I have some more pictures in my galleries about the PP project. Are you going to the Texas Pinball Festival this weekend? I'll be attending one day to play games and see a few friends. We line near north Fort Worth. I'd seen your West Texas ref.

Thanks,

Josh

• 3 months later...

SORPH! whats up bud.. I got a PP cab and am going to use an original xbox with coinops. I got the xbox to jamma adapter (the one with CGA) so I can use the original monitor. I also bought a nice steering wheel/pedal set for the xbox and will be hacking into the cab to make that fully work. Should be pretty easy. Once I get started on it I will let you know my progress and what I do. I have a buddy in Florida helping me with since he has done something similar.

SORPH! whats up bud.. I got a PP cab and am going to use an original xbox with coinops. I got the xbox to jamma adapter (the one with CGA) so I can use the original monitor. I also bought a nice steering wheel/pedal set for the xbox and will be hacking into the cab to make that fully work. Should be pretty easy. Once I get started on it I will let you know my progress and what I do. I have a buddy in Florida helping me with since he has done something similar.

Sweet! That's really cool, can you post a link to the xbox video cable / cga convertor you used?

Archived