Hyperspin PC Build

JackTheFlap

First off sorry if this is in the wrong place, I suck at navigating forums.

But anyway Hi,

I want to build a PC that can run games up to the N64 and PlayStation 1, I am in the UK so UK pricing / Websites would be nice but I can google myself. Anyway, I want to either build a PC or buy a PC that can run Hyperspin and emulators up to the N64 and Playstation 1. I do want a Mini ITX / Small PC and it will also be used as a basic HTPC.

Any recommendation?

Jack

Here is the spec on my bartop. It runs N64 and PS1 with no slowdown.

Its a couple of years old now, so pretty much anything you pickup today will run what you need. The most important item to conduder is not to use the onboard video, pickup an aftermarket card (at least gtx 460 or greater).

Spec..

Intel Core i3-2120 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor - Retail

Asus P8H61-I Intel H61 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard

PNY GTX460 1GB GFX card

BeQuiet Pure Power L8 530W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply

Corsair Value 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz

G-Skill 64GB 2.5” SSD (o/s, hyperspin install)

Samsung 1TB 2.5” HD (roms)

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Any limitations, like budget or case or already owned parts?

I would like the case to be mini itx. I want the build to really be as cheap as possible so I was going to put it in a Coolermaster Elite 120 for around £30. I already own a Nvidia GTX 550TI and don't really want to spend more than £350-400 on the build (not putting this in an arcade machine. Not enough space and want it to sit under my TV)

£27        :case: cooler master elite 120
£6         :case fan: cooler master 120mm sickle flow
£72-£90    :cpu: i3-4130 or i3-4330 or i3-4340 (worst to best)
£54-£90    :motherboard: mini-ITX, H87 or Z87, 2x240pin memory slot, pcie 3.0 x16 for video card
£29        :cpu cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev.B
£36-£54    :memory: DDR3, 8gb (2x4gb), 1600 or 1333, 240pin
£0 (owned) :gpu: GTX 550 Ti
£36-£90    :power supply: 400watt to 500watt (more is ok but not needed), 
.                         max length is 160mm or 6.3", preferred is 142mm or 5.6"
£60-£240   :storage: 1 3.5" HDD + 1 SSD + (1 2.5" HDD or 1 SSD)
£54        :operating system:  Windows 7 or 8

Total = £374 to £680

maybe this list can give you an idea.

Note: some of the mini-ITX motherboards have mini pcie slots for wifi or already built in wifi if this is important to you. You could go with 4gb (2x2gb) of memory to cut costs by about £15. I chose the haswell series cpu because the motherboards are easier to find and have better features than the motherboards for the ivy bridge series.

To run ps2, gamecube and wii emulators you would want an i5-4670k and a z87 series motherboard. This would set the expected price to about £442 to £722

A bluray capable 5.25" optical disk drive would add anywhere from £30 to £50 to your final price.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Acer aspire xc600 to run Hyperpsin. I have built my Hypserpin and runs fine but just with really slow FPS so not playable running Wii and Dreamcast etc

Can anyone help with an uprgade as I've no idea where to start. Just spent £60 upgrading to 8gb of Ram but not noticed any difference. Spent ages reading online trying to find which motherboard, gpu, fan etc I need to buy but its a minefield for a newby pc builder and I don't want to get it wrong. Case is not an issue as I'm going to build an all in one arcade stick to house motherboard and all gubbins in.

Can anyone please help (It's taken me over a year so far to set up my hyperspin and all I can really play on it is mame and the old SNes stuff!!. Please,please,please HELP!!!

i'd like to recommend the intel g3258 processor, can be had for $50 on sale several times recently (US$) and from what i read its great for emulation even up to wii and ps2. supposedly easily overclocked on stock cooler to up to 4.4GHz. an 1150 itx board can also be found for around $50

edit: looks not all 1150 boards will overclock the g3258. any z87 will, but they're pricey. But apparently bios updates were released for some (h81,b85,etc.) to allow overclocking.

thanks Codbo,

Will the chip and board you recommend will fit with the rest of my existing acer components? Or will I need to get another psu and anything else to get it working? So build an entirely new machine for Hyperspin?

your help is much appreciated BTW

well i was really answering the original poster as he hadn't asked for quite as high emulation needs as wii, but from all ive read dolphin only uses two cores so this is the cheapest processor you can get that would have a good chance at playing most wii games. i play many wii games with an i3 which is basically equal to this chips stock speeds at dual core tasks. overclocked this chip would probably outperform my i3. If money is no object i'd feel a lot safer getting an overclockable i5 then you can crank up all the eye candy on dolphin

just looked up your pc, i'd say the main thing holding your system back is probably using the onboard graphics, id get a dedicated graphics card and see how much improvement that gives, maybe a 750ti

Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade my Acer aspire xc600 to run Hyperpsin. I have built my Hypserpin and runs fine but just with really slow FPS so not playable running Wii and Dreamcast etc

Can anyone help with an uprgade as I've no idea where to start. Just spent £60 upgrading to 8gb of Ram but not noticed any difference. Spent ages reading online trying to find which motherboard, gpu, fan etc I need to buy but its a minefield for a newby pc builder and I don't want to get it wrong. Case is not an issue as I'm going to build an all in one arcade stick to house motherboard and all gubbins in.

Can anyone please help (It's taken me over a year so far to set up my hyperspin and all I can really play on it is mame and the old SNes stuff!!. Please,please,please HELP!!!

I think your problem is that this pc doesn't have a dedicated graphics card. Seeing it requires low profile cards I can recommend the ASUS Radeon R7 240. I used it on my build and it ran Dreamcast Games just fine. Not sure about Gamecube or Wii, haven't tested that yet. Just make sure you don't buy an additional low-profile slot cover, it is indeed included even if the shops say it isnt :)

Archived