Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

The age old PC Spec Question

findon

So I finally have my two cabs pretty much finished up (see pics), so it bring us to the classic 'what spec PC' question, in terms of limits of where I would like to go, up to Dreamcast and Gamecube really, however I am not totally against aiming higher for a little bit of future proofing I guess. Money isn't too much of an issue, but I just don't want to spend on stuff that is not needed, quite keen to build them myself (haven't built a PC for a while). My knowledge of what is out there is pretty ancient though. From what I can gather, a half decent video card is a must, an i5 or i7 processor? 16gb or ram? SSD drive.

It's been so long since I built something, just need some pointers to start putting together the bits please!

20170526_104920.jpg

20170526_104924.jpg

20170526_104904.jpg

20170526_104915.jpg

Subzero told me the following is more than enough:

Processor: Intel core I5 4670k (unlocked) @3,4 GHz turbo @ 3,9 GHz 
Ram: 16 gb ddr3 
GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB XLR8 Gaming Overclocked Edition PNY (Got it for 100 euro)
Main drive: Kingston 120gb ssd
Extra Drive: Seagate 2TB 
PSU: Corsair 400 watt

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Lenovo PB2-690M met Tapatalk

Hyperthreading is not that useful in emulation, most emulators use just 2 cores, so i'd go with an intel i5. I'd pick a 6600k with a good aftermarket heatsink and an overclock enabled motherboard to push on cpu clock.

8gb should be enough but CEMU (wiiU emulator) seems to go beyond 8gb on same games due to compiled shaders.

If you plan also a bit of windows gaming a decent videocard is a must. Gtx1070 is perfect for 1080p and not "high end" 4k gaming. Probably it's an overkill but it might avoid a new videocard for some years.

Maybe a Z270 mobo would be better, here price of older stuff is not competitive. You can avoid an "hi-end" mobo, intel core i seems to overclock decently even on "economic" motherboard (if they have overclock feature).

For the OS hard disk get a m.2 ssd, they are freaking fast compared to sata.

Maybe a Z270 mobo would be better, here price of older stuff is not competitive. You can avoid an "hi-end" mobo, intel core i seems to overclock decently even on "economic" motherboard (if they have overclock feature).

For the OS hard disk get a m.2 ssd, they are freaking fast compared to sata.

+1 on ssd I can't believe how fast they are not to mention boot and load times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived