Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Aaaargh, keyboard not working with Hyperspin

lovebus5

Hi!

I might be going crazy, have spent countless hours trying to get keyboard controls working in my Hyperspin setup on Nvidia Shield :) 

Problem is: No matter what I change in the p1 controls section of settings.ini (in my settings_android HS folder), I'm limited to ONLY Escape and arrow keys functioning. Not enter key, not Favourites, not genre buttons.

Also, with gamepad controllers (Shield controller and a Xbox 360 wired controller), all works well without any settings changes, EXCEPT Favourites and Genre buttons. I'm ok if I can get those working, then I don't need keyboard to work.

What I'm (desperately) trying to achieve is to be able to toggle Favourites and Genres. But I just can't do it, neither with keyboard or any of the controllers...

I have a Logitech k400 wireless keyboard (which is working perfectly with my Shield except for this.

Id really appreciate any help!!!

Thanks,

Sorry you've been banging your head on this.   The Android version of Hyperspin is a completely different app, it's not a port.   So it's buggy in different areas and is missing a lot of features in the PC version.

Genre and Favorites are not working yet.   Keyboard controls are incomplete as well, although for sake of using an ipac arcade controller, proper keyboard controls would be nice.   I THOUGHT it was possible to navigate with keys but perhaps A/B (enter/exit) aren't working.

For my cabinet, I used a UHID from ultimarc and just set it up as a gamepad.

As reznnate said some features like favourites and genres don't work.

have a read through the Pinned posts in this forum for the supported settings for ini files.

also I tried my best to write them up myself. Search (Tutorial) in the android forum. 

It will probably save you hours of testing. As I did at the beginning also.

Thanks, that explains it! :)

Guess I can do a workaround. I don't want to scroll through the 1000s of mame games to find something. I'm thinking I can set up the genres as different systems (Mame Shmup, Mame Fighting etc) and that should make each have its own wheel. What u think about that?

Unless you are about to release a new version soon with Favourites and Genres working? :)

An update, i found a reasonably efficient way of doing this, and have done it yesterday for creating a "Best 1000 Mame games"-wheel, with all media copied from the bigger total mame wheel and folders. Is that of interest? If it is I'll write out the process steps and tools. I'm a very recent Hyperspin fan so I'm not  sure if these things are obvious to y'all :)

Same process can be used to create the Genre wheels. Only thing missing, that is needed, is a way to create a text file with Genre game file names in it. I already have Genre xmls, but not a txt with just the rom-names...

I would be interested in how you did this.    I'm ready to create a personal 'favorites' list too.

On my primary MAME wheel, I only show games with themes (theme filter=true) but a bunch of really fun, less-popular games are still missing themes (rescue, minefield, etc.).

There is a program that takes a bunh of folders/files to generate a text list of them.

I will dig it out

Or search seandyer87 list generator. That may produce something.

Could be in a thread i done ages ago. Handy tools and tips or something the title was called

Off to bed now zzzzzzzz

I'd be interested in that, too. Maybe we can completely script it. Getting a plain list of filenames from the XMLs used by Hyperspin is pretty easy, when you use M$ Powershell:

[xml]$genredata = get-content "PATH TO YOUR GENREFILE.xml";
$namefile = "PATH TO YOUR NAMEFILE.txt"
foreach ( $game in $genredata.SelectNodes("//game")){
	$game.name | out-file -FilePath "$namefile" -Append -Encoding ascii
}

Small update, if you want the ".zip" included in the file name change the line #4 to:

"$($game.name).zip" | out-file -FilePath "$namefile" -Append -Encoding ascii

Cool! Here is how I did it:

Situation: You have a big MAME wheel in Hyperspin Android with 1000s of games (with all your media & video set up in the right folders), and since neither Favourites nor Genres work you need a way to either: A) break the big MAME wheel into multiple smaller MAME wheels, e.g. by genre or, B.) You have a subset, such as I did, e.g. with your "top 500" MAME games or whatever, that you want to put in a separate wheel

Complication: You wanna do this without manually moving about roms and media files to match the new multiple MAME-wheel situation

Solution (at least one way, dont know if it´s the best, like I said im basically a HS noob):

I will describe Situation B, which is what I ended up doing for my own system 

• I wanted to create a MAME wheel with roughly max 1000 of the "best" MAME games.
  • Go ahead and create your "Best of MAME"-wheel in your normal RLUI routine, to create the right folders etc.
  • I started with a txt file, that I downloaded from here:  (credit to Progetto-SNAPS). It contains nearly all MAME games, rated (im fine with someone else´s opinion on whats good:)). I chose to include all games rated "good" or better...
  • The txt file did not contain the full filename of the roms, they are missing ".zip", so I copied over to excel and added it (=concatenate is the function to use...). Complete filepath is not needed, just the complete filename. Save your txt as "list.txt" (so next step´s script will find it)
  • Download a software called "Autoit", create a Autoit script file and copy paste the code that is described here (see the step-by-step there and follow it through, no changes needed)
  • The above link also gives step by step what to do (put your script in your big MAME rom folder, execute it etc.)

Now you have the right roms for your "Best of MAME"-wheel (or your MAME GENRE X-wheel, if thats what youre after) in your new MAME rom folder. Now on to the media:

• Get a tool called "Hyperspin Rom & Media Manager". I think its nowadays called "HyperChecker", and that mine might be an older version, but not sure
  • In this tool, after you put in some basic settings like your HS path etc in "HyperSpin System settings" and "Program settings" tabs, you choose your new system "Best of MAME", do a "Check", and you should see it finds your roms but no media. Here you can also easily create your HS database xml "Crop XML to only found games"
  • Click the "Check missing roms or media in another folder" button, and work through one media folder at a time. It works for images, sounds as well as themes and video (all the time pointing to your big MAME-wheel media folders). The function will copy (not move) the media corresponding to your new rom list into the right "Best of MAME" media folders. Very easy!

Thats it! You now have your intended roms & media copied to new Best of MAME-system. Finalize by adding e.g. Main Menu images for your new Best of MAME wheel, update the Main Menu Android database etc., to make sure it shows up well.

Let me know if more detail is needed!

If you want to instead to scenario A, e.g. a "MAME Bowling Games"-wheel, you do the exact same thing. Only difference is you need a way to create a txt file with all MAME Bowling roms in it (one filename per line, no delimiters). Looks like EyMannMachHin's script above can do just that for you! (you start with a Genre MAME xml which are readily available)

Over and out, 

lovebus5

Very clear instruction, that does do the trick nicely.

If you would be so kind as to copy the above post and put it in its own thread with the title starting (Tutorial) and use the tags that will be an awesome help to other newcomers and also if people have a better way or issues they can post there.

Dont want this getting lost in the forum curse! ;)

@lovebus5 really nice job listing up what to to. You should follow @thatman84's advice and post it as tutorial.

It's the first time I heard about AutoIt, I think I should give it a try, too. I find the features to simulate mouse and keaboar interaction interesting.  Powershell does come already installed on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

One small thing though. Using Excel seems slightly overkill. I don't know what you normally use to edit plain text files, but you should try out Notepad++ as a replacement. It can do what you wanted (that is add ".zip" to each entry in the list of filenames. When you are done editing the list

• go to the begining of the file, open "Replace" (ctrl+H)
  • set "Search Mode" to "Regular Expression"
  • Enter "$" (without the quotes ;) ) in "Search for" ($ is a regular expression special character meaning "End of Line")
  • Enter ".zip" in "Replace with:"
  • click "Replace all"
  • done!

Save the file. 

Archived