Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

My smart strip won't turn on my TV and now I have to try a different method?

So I'm getting very close to finish building my cabinet and last night I placed my 37" vizio into my cabinet. I have my computer plugged into the main power plug on the power strip. I plugged the TV to a smart strip power outlet as well as the computer speakers. So when I hit the power button on the computer my PC and computer speakers turn on but the TV does not.

So this leads me to my question. The TV is de-cased but I did leave the IR attached for the remote still and it still is in working order. The IR chipboard has two wires going to it. A red and White wire and they are hooked up to the PCB and the Infrared eye. Can I cut the wires and attach the red and white wire to a arcade button (NO and other male connector - can't think of the name of it) and power on the TV that way?

It seems the IR is just completing the loop (electricity) when it receives a signal from the remote. If somebody knows about this and can help me that would be great.

I'm hoping to find the service menu code and hoping there is a service menu tweak to have my tv turn on instead of standby. They say you can use them as monitors, so why can't they turn on like them. I would even put it into the "unswitched" plug of my smartstrip except it keeps flashing "no input connected" as a screensaver when the computer is off!

Anyway what I plan to do is make a relay for my power button. It will turn the power on at the computer, and the relay will turn the monitor on or off as well.

when the TV's are powered down they need the IR to turn them on, the wires are not a switch loop so this will not work for you to turn it on, on my Vizo unit if you are in VGA mode and the signal is lost it should tell you no input for about 30 Seconds and then say it is powering off and goes to a standby position, the moment the signal is returned it turns back on.

At least that's how mine works, but if it loses power it must be turned on again by the remote.

Well even if i cut the wires I can always rewire it back together. I just don't want to mess up and cause a fire or something like that so I thought I would ask first. I am also going to have to extend the wires if I'm going to hook up relay wires to the arcade button on the bottom of my cab. Say goodbye to reset button and hello to TV power button. I will post a follow up sometime this weekend when I attempt the surgery. I'm not going to mess with it for a couple of days and get some sleep. It's been nonstop the last 4 days.

my screens don't auto power on either... I just shut the computer down and let the monitors go into standby. After 1 minute they power off, but once I power on the PC the screens come back on.

when the TV's are powered down they need the IR to turn them on, the wires are not a switch loop so this will not work for you to turn it on, on my Vizo unit if you are in VGA mode and the signal is lost it should tell you no input for about 30 Seconds and then say it is powering off and goes to a standby position, the moment the signal is returned it turns back on.

At least that's how mine works, but if it loses power it must be turned on again by the remote.

I am running HDMI to DVI and when the computer shuts down the screen goes blue and says no signal. It doesn't seem to turn off at all and just shines blue. Now maybe I did not wait long enough for it to turn off so I will give it another shot.

On the smart strip there is a always on but I would like the TV to standby and not stay blue for ever.

My backglass monitor was like this. I soldered 2 wires to the power button and wired that to a rocker switch. It now closes the circuit and the monitor turns on automatically. Flipping the switch takes it back to the original mode. I can take a picture if it will help

HDMI will not shut down I do not think, The VGA is watched for a signal. but all tv's are different. Good luck.
The HDMI ports on my tv's watch for a signal and wake up once a signal is received.

My backglass monitor was like this. I soldered 2 wires to the power button and wired that to a rocker switch. It now closes the circuit and the monitor turns on automatically. Flipping the switch takes it back to the original mode. I can take a picture if it will help

You're a flippin genious! I never would've looked at the problem that way. If you have a master switch/smart strip, just keep the power button on all the time!

Thanks a lot. you just saved me a bunch of work

Hey shilmover do you have a picture you could upload. Based on your description I can't visualize it.

Also I'm thinking maybe I will just find a inconspicuous spot to stick the IR lens and use the remote to turn the TV on. Less work and I don't have to buy anything. Everything else should be powered on by the smart strip.

Also is there any loss to go from DVI to VGA. The Vizio supports 1920 x 1080 @60Hz through VGA but it is a analog input. DVI is a digital so what would I be losing in that area? If anything at all. I would be willing to try the VGA hookup if it will put the TV in a standby mode.

• 3 years later...

Archived