Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Glass

RockerNJ

Just got off the phone w/ a place here in NJ and they want $40 a square foot for 3/16" tempered glass. A playfield is roughly 8 sq feet (a bit under, but I'm sure they'll round up). Thats $320 for a piece of glass that goes for $44 shipped from pinballlife.

Unfortunately, the standard playfield glass is a tad small for my cab, so custom may be to only way to go.

I'm curious what you guys have paid for your glass, and where you got it. I'm thinking maybe I can just order from out of state, or even out of country and have it shipped for less than the $320 it's going to cost me locally.

Just got off the phone w/ a place here in NJ and they want $40 a square foot for 3/16" tempered glass. A playfield is roughly 8 sq feet (a bit under, but I'm sure they'll round up). Thats $320 for a piece of glass that goes for $44 shipped from pinballlife.

Unfortunately, the standard playfield glass is a tad small for my cab, so custom may be to only way to go.

I'm curious what you guys have paid for your glass, and where you got it. I'm thinking maybe I can just order from out of state, or even out of country and have it shipped for less than the $320 it's going to cost me locally.

I got my playfield glass (3/16 tempered) from a local glass company in MA, Strojny Glass. It ended up being just under $50. I'm not sure if it's worth a couple hour drive for you but I'd also check out onedayglass.com. They sell 3/16 tempered glass, the only one I could find online really, and I think when I spec'd out my glass it would have cost around $40-50 plus around $40 shipping. Still much cheaper than what you were quoted.

I see you're basing your cab off of Scooters. I did the same exact thing so our playfields should be nearly identical.

• 4 years later...

Hey gang! Totally noob here and starting out of the gate making a Bally Widebody.

My question is glass size. I see on multiple sites that the standard widebody width is 23.75 wide.

Is the glass supposed to slip between the side rail and the plywood cabinet lip?

I'm using true 3/4 inch MDF not plywood that's s tad smaller (3/8).

It's looking like I need at least 24" wide to lay on the cabinet sides under the side rails

Am I missing something?

the glass is supposed to sit as you state, but is sits on "F channel runners" under the side rail.

if you are using a original cab as a refurb, the glass will be a standard size. however if you are building your own wide body cab you might want to measure the distance (when the "F channels are in place) as sometimes they turn out slightly different.

also be aware that once toughened glass is cut to size you cannot cut it down smaller if oversize.

Archived