Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

What hardware required to run hyperspin and latest pc games

Wingchundub

Good day to you all,
                                   I was directed here by a good friend, of whom i had pleasure of visting recently, to see the wow factor in his living room.
I have been console/arcade gaming for over 25/30 years, currently own xbox one and Dreamcast (19 year old)
I want to go over to the pc side now, as it is clear, gaming on pc totally wipes out consoles.
My friend mentioned he has i7 7th gen processor, 1060 graphics card, 16gb ram and games play unreal.
He shown me the hyperspin software and i loved it, really did, everygame (Well some missing, like thrill kill on ps1 lol)
I want this sooooo bad and also to play latest pc games, like call of duty and battlefeild to give an idea.
I don't want to be throwing money at a system like his, which no doubt would set me back 1k min, plus additional cost of 2 x 8tb drives for storage of hyperspin and pc games.
If there a possible way of being able to play all the above, but at a lesser cost and be future proof at least 5 years,so i can save and add upgrades.
I am very competent in replacing thermal paste, artic silver 5 for example i use on my xbox yearly and clean it out every 6 month, yes ocd lol, so i would maintain it always.
Can replace memory, hard drives etc, which i do daily on laptops, but pc, i've not touched one for over 20 plus year.
As regards external 8tb drives, my friend mentioned, hyperspin currently only supports 8tb drives, i had an offer, a cracking one at that, for a 12tb, could i use this?
Any guidance is much apprecaited

The question is really easy: what do you want to run on the rig? If you want to play modern pc games you really need 4 cores and a gtx1070 (perfect for 1080p, at 4k it will not run every game you thrown at it). The problem is... well, an i5 would be better as future games might need that 2 extra cores. Considering you are interested in emulation i'd say 8600k as you can safely overclock it 4.5ghz. Ryzen is a better bang for bucks but single core performance are still weaker and most emulators use only 2 cores. An 8350k is a bit cheaper, 4 core only. You'll need a decent z370 motherboard and a decent heatsink.
For modern games and WiiU emulator you really need 16gb of ram. 8gb will work on most games/emulator but for some games 12gb are recommended.

If you have a 1080p monitor/TV probably a gtx1060 6gb will be a good choice too. But... wait a bit longer, nvidia has released gtx2080, so gtx2060 and gtx2070 should follow.

For hard disk... well, if you want full romsets of psp, gamecube, ps2 and so on... 2x8gb might even not be enough :P  If you're on tight budget I'd avoid 8gb things. 500gb m.2 ssd and a 4gb 72000rpm hard disk, you can expand storage later.

Anyway i have the impression you are talking of a preconfigured 8tb hard disk with hyperspin, I give you an advice: those things are illegal, they often DO NOT WORK and sellers refuse any form of post-sale assistance..

Thank you kindly for your knowledge.

I was considering mainly latest pc gaming of today, had enough of consoles.
That information has given me more than enough to think about.
So the above example i give i7 7th 1060 graphics and 16gb would be too much for my needs or perfect for many years to come?
Best wishes

I'll tell you a thing: a 2011 cpu is still good to play today at 1080p https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600kthe-2018-review-time-for-an-upgrade,1.html

The fun thing is the article is confronting a 4 cores 2011 cpu with a 2018 6 cores cpu.

If you really want hi-end gaming at 4k you need high end hardware: oc'ed 8700k, a GOOD heatsink, a decent z370 mobo, gtx2080, 16gb of ram, m.2 ssd. For some games if you want to play 4k at 60fps a second gtx2080 should probably kicks in. We're in, well, "I'm made of money" range lol.

An oc'ed 8600k, a GOOD heatsink, a decent z370 mobo, gtx1060 6gb (but, again, wait for the new videocards nvidia is rolling out), 16gb ram, m.2 ssd is a very good system for 60 fps at 1080p. If you want more performance at the same price for non-games related stuff probably you should look at AMD's ryzen but emulators prefers intel cpu as they have better single-threaded performance.

the REAL problem is today 4k resolution is becoming the "standard" but non high-end hardware really struggle to run 4k

Thank you, I am content with 1080.
Like my xbox, its the original, no need for S or X, i have very happy with 1080 and can play in same lobbies etc, so suppose i can cut hardware which will need to run 4k out of the question.

I will have a read of the link you gave me, will be interesting.
Best wishes.

On 20/09/2018 at 4:44 PM, dark13 said:

I'll tell you a thing: a 2011 cpu is still good to play today at 1080p https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600kthe-2018-review-time-for-an-upgrade,1.html

The fun thing is the article is confronting a 4 cores 2011 cpu with a 2018 6 cores cpu.

If you really want hi-end gaming at 4k you need high end hardware: oc'ed 8700k, a GOOD heatsink, a decent z370 mobo, gtx2080, 16gb of ram, m.2 ssd. For some games if you want to play 4k at 60fps a second gtx2080 should probably kicks in. We're in, well, "I'm made of money" range lol.

An oc'ed 8600k, a GOOD heatsink, a decent z370 mobo, gtx1060 6gb (but, again, wait for the new videocards nvidia is rolling out), 16gb ram, m.2 ssd is a very good system for 60 fps at 1080p. If you want more performance at the same price for non-games related stuff probably you should look at AMD's ryzen but emulators prefers intel cpu as they have better single-threaded performance.

the REAL problem is today 4k resolution is becoming the "standard" but non high-end hardware really struggle to run 4k

GTx2080 is a waste of money

If you already have have a gtx1080 yeah, it is a waste of money. And, anyway, a 2080ti still can't run FFXV at 60 fps (yeah, the engine sucks). https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_rtx_2080_founders_review,14.html

TAA and DLSS are interesting but we all know how these things works. I've never seen a game using DX11's tassellation like "heaven" benchmark, ATI's "mantle" is not going anywhere and so on.

The thing is clearly overpriced but right now EVERY videocard on the market is freaking overpriced. 70€ for a gt1030 is just crazy. Ah, and here the intel 8100 cpu just went from 120€ to 170€ due to demand/offer stuff.

High prices and minimal power increase, then producers wonder why desktops don't sell that much. As said, a 2600k is still perfect for 1080p gaming. If Ryzen was not released at this point intel would still sell 2 cores at premium price...

Archived