Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Bubble Bobble Themed Arcade Project

Lid

I haven't long started my project and I am currently just posting all of the background information. I have built a very basic prototype control panel out of scrap bits of wood so I will post about that with pictures on the blog. Hopefully soon I will actually get to building the cabinet then the real fun will begin. I will bump this thread every now and then when I update the blog.

So here is the blog:

http://bubbob.retro.me.uk/

• 4 months later...

Been a bit slow getting things going but I have now updated the blog with some pictures of my prototype modular control panel (its very rough) and I will be updating with my wiring work in the next few days.

• 1 year later...

Bump for my project.

Recently started it going after a year of no progress. I have finally started construction and have also made loads of progress with the emulators and frontend mainly down to Hypersync. I have a week off work soon so will hopefully make lots of progress if the weather is good, although thats not likely in Wales in December :(.

http://bubbob.retro.me.uk/

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow reply here, I have been busy with lots of things including the arcade cabinet. There is an update for the blog due shortly (as the cabinet is nearly ready to stand up) but I will post a selection of pictures from the blog in here.

In answer to your questions Monkey, the PC setup is already done although it is constantly evolving as I work in IT I usually collect things along the way which might be useful to me. I will write up the current specs in the next post I make here, it's nothing special but does the job although I need a graphics card as I recently installed Street Fighter 4 and get 15 fps :(

I haven't decided on any of the artwork or marquee stuff yet although my idea was to have full side art with Bub and Bob on either side at the bottom blowing bubbles with various famous/favourite characters (not only from Bubble Bobble) trapped in bubbles up the side of the cabinet. What do you think?

Here are some pictures for now. Hopefully they will start to get more exciting soon. There is a bit of everything here from the prototype control panel made from bits of kitchen cupboard, the wiring to the network sockets and the assembly of the base and cabinet.

post-17624-1428705822_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582175_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582182_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582186_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582189_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582192_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582193_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582196_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870582198_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

The Donkey Kong build isn't mine. I can see why the "other projects" title might be misleading, I will get that changed to something less confusing.

The Bubble Bobble cabinet is my first build. It's stood up in my living room now but there is still a ton of work to do, mainly on the changeable controls. I will update my blog soon and get some picturs on here too.

• 1 month later...

Here are some pictures of the cabinet actually stood up. I also have lots of pictures and more blog updates to write regarding the modular control panel and my attempt at implementing light guns. I have finally ordered a monitor so it should be up and running soon so that will be the end of build progress once I can play Donkey Kong.

post-17624-142870584345_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870584335_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870584339_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress now :)

I have 2 x 8 way joystick panels fitted and 2 x 6 button panels fitted with a spacer in the middle. This will be the default panel layout as it fits in with the Bubble Bobble theme and will cover most games you can play. When it stops raining I need to cut a wider panel for the Start buttons and the red buttons on there will be replaced with white ones.

The red buttons will then be used in another button panel to go with a red ball top 4 way joystick.

I have an Aim Trak gun working which I have put in a Gun Con casing but it's a work in progress as I am hoping to get the recoil feature wired up. I have loads to do but need to stop myself from playing on there now so I can actually finish it. Here are a few pictures but there will be more pictures and details on the blog http://bubbob.retro.me.uk/ when I update it.

I have a huge list of things to do but keep playing Virtua Cop 2, Bank Panic, Bubble Bobble and Donkey Kong.

post-17624-142870584965_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870584962_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Lid,

First off, awesome project looks like your project is moving along really well. I saw that you used sanwa screw in in your cabinet. I was wondering how you recessed the wood using the MDF or did you just do it on the that board material you showed in your blog? Also are the screws long enough to leave space for plexi glass or not?

Cheers,

Rocket

• 2 months later...

Hi Rocket,

Didn't see your post sorry and have been away from the project for a little while. I have some more updates on the blog about fixing the motherboard and speakers and amp

I will get some pictures posted on here soon.

In regards to the Sanwa buttons it wasn't the prettiest way of doing things but I recessed the underside using a large spade drill bit. I had planned on using the router but in the end it wasn't too bad using the spade bit.

I used Slagcoin for my measurements so I drilled a 30mm hole all the way through the MDF for each button to go through and then I recessed the mdf around the holes enough to do the screws up. The mdf I used was 18mm and the buttons are meant to fit 0 - 11mm thick materials so I think I recessed the mdf by about 10mm to leave me with 8mm of mdf around the holes. I haven't got as far as planning out the control panel artwork and plexi glass but I was hoping that I could still get the plexi glass on even if it meant recessing a few more mm from the underside of the mdf to make sure the nuts still did up on the thread. Although I'm not sure how thick the plexi should be on the control panel so I might not be able to if it is thicker than a few mm.

I am due to write a blog update about the control panel as it's one of the more interesting parts of the cabinet because it is modular. So when I write that up I will let you know as there should be some pictures of the control panel pieces and button cut outs.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Here are some more pictures. They should all be on the blog if you have been reading that.

Internal stuff - motherboard, amp and power strip.

post-17624-142870590854_thumb.jpg

Power cable wiring and power cable connection on the back. I only have the one power cable connecting the cabinet to the wall socket and the motherboard is set to auto power on when the mains plug is switched on.

post-17624-142870590858_thumb.jpg

Speaker grill and speakers

post-17624-142870590867_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the pictures aren't too big. Let me know what you think.

post-17624-142870590852_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870590856_thumb.jpg

post-17624-14287059086_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870590862_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870590864_thumb.jpg

post-17624-142870590865_thumb.jpg

Archived