Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin cannot find .ini

Silverbullit

Hi forumfriends,

When I start Hyperspin and choose "NEC TurboGrafx-16" I get a black screen and the following error message "Cannot find "# # # OrginalAktuell_NEC TurboGrafx-16.ini"

1/ The games are green audited in RocketLauncher and starts when I mark the game and press the little "rocket" icon.

2/ I had a folder with many Roms and all were red, so I created and merged two .xml's and thus got all the files green audit and working, I followed the youtube instructions and temporarily named this xml something else, "# # # OrginalAktuell_NEC TurboGrafx-16.xml" and saved it in my desktop/downloads. Then I backed up the original and renamed the previous file "NEC TurboGrafx-16.xml" and placed it in the HyperSpin/Database/NEC TurboGrafx-16 folder.

How do I fix this?

I need your help mates, why is it asking for an .ini named from a temporary .xml? (Should it at least not ask for NEC TurboGrafx-16.xml and then create a same name .ini to drop where?)

I appreciate any and all help you can give me friends,
/Silverbullit

4 hours ago, Silverbullit said:

1/ The games are green audited in RocketLauncher and starts when I mark the game and press the little "rocket" icon.

If they start from within RLUI and not HS, then you are not connected properly. Check the settings in this post:

15 hours ago, Spawk said:

If they start from within RLUI and not HS, then you are not connected properly. Check the settings in this post:

Thanks for the link Spawk,
Default Plugin was set to RocketLauncher, followed the yellow highlight and changed it to HyperSpin.
Rest looks identical far as I can see...
(There is a "NEC TurboGrafx-16.ini" in X:\HyperSpin\Settings folder)

I still have the same error message;
Cannot find "# # # OrginalAktuell_NEC TurboGrafx-16.ini"
(I made a .xml database file with that name using "Don's HyperSpin Tools", but I cannot for my life figure out how that titled .xml name ended up as an error missing .ini ?!?)

Been wrestling with this basically non-stop since I posted here, even started randomly opening files in notepad trying to find where the #3¡¡ that .ini name and directory got etched in stone in hopes of re-directing that mμth@ fμqλ3μr and get the Tμrbo-$#*! running... but I got nothing except a creeping suspicion my head might pop like Michael Ironside in Scanners. (Pardon the greek αlphaβet)
I need you mates, this is beyond me, any ideas Spawk? And hey, thanks man for trying to help out, I appreciate your time and effort!

The log.txt says;
07:55:53 PM |  HyperSpin Started
07:55:53 PM |  Going windowed mode
07:55:53 PM |  Checking for updates
07:55:53 PM |  Update Check Complete
07:55:53 PM |  Startup program unavailable
07:55:53 PM |  Playing intro video
07:55:57 PM |  Error intializing joysticks
07:55:57 PM |  Menu Mode is multi
07:55:57 PM |  Loading Main Menu.xml
07:55:57 PM |  Main Menu.xml successfully loaded
07:55:58 PM |  Main Menu wheel loaded successfully
07:55:59 PM |  Loading NEC TurboGrafx-16.xml
07:55:59 PM |  roms_only is true, checking files
07:55:59 PM |  Main Menu.xml successfully loaded
07:56:00 PM |  NEC TurboGrafx-16 wheel loaded successfully
07:56:00 PM |  Launching Game
07:56:00 PM |  Using alternate exe # # # OrginalAktuell_NEC TurboGrafx-16
07:56:00 PM |  Not using HyperLaunch
08:00:41 PM |  Launching Game
08:00:41 PM |  Using alternate exe # # # OrginalAktuell_NEC TurboGrafx-16
08:00:41 PM |  Not using HyperLaunch
08:00:53 PM |  Quiting Hyperspin
08:00:53 PM |  Bye!

It says “not using hyperlaunch” (Rocketlauncher if set correctly).

It also mentions an alternate exe. Do NOT put the emulator exe path in HQ when using the roms only filter, only put the rom path and extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, but I don't understand why it says "not using hyperlaunch" and where I should have set RocketLauncher?
Thanks for staying with me Spawk, and giving great advice at where and what to check.
Screendumps below of my settings, pherhaps I am missing something obvious? Do you see anything below thats off?

I have tried toggling "roms only" on/off, nothing changes with that one. (Thanks for confirming thats a possible error source)
Not setting extensions/ex, what precisely does this entail?
I noobily thought it meant not set Executable, speaking of which I run BizHawk 2.6 recommended by ytube for NEC TurboGrafx-16, however in the Emu folder there is no BizHawk.se but instead EmuHawk.exe & DiscoHawk.exe
(All other Emulators has an .exe named after the emulator in Q pretty upstraight with the exception of a sparsely "x64" addendum.)

Settings.ini_001.thumb.JPG.ccc36fc476bb67da6594e0fe78e43209.JPG
HyperHQ_001.thumb.JPG.ce65f7407d7e9385bdd81e089779b290.JPG

1353222250_GlobalRocketLauncherHyperSpin_001.thumb.JPG.eb185613c4a09eb4fd1dd3723e3dddac.JPG

1688869967_GlobalFrontends_001.thumb.JPG.ce8b440257edcb0fa756075beaa02119.JPG

Looks fine at a glance. Sorry I am at work for another 4 hrs or so.

Normally when something doesn’t work, a RocketLauncher troubleshooting log will tell you exactly what the problem is. Unfortunately it is bypassing RL altogether so we need to figure that out first.

Any progress? Is this a brand new setup? Arcade cab or gamepad type?

I am not exactly sure if databases have anything to do with your issue but there is some important stuff here to note. I am unclear what exactly you were doing with the merge stuff. Even the highly dated XML on HyperList should match up pretty closely to a current romset except for maybe a couple of spelling mistakes/name changes. Most games should audit green without changing anything at all.

While I am on the subject of "audit green", RL's audit is merely a filename checker, it's no guarantee that a specific game will run properly or anything. There is even a rare system or two that the audit is completely broken (everything stays orange) even though everything launches properly. Turbo-16 is not one of these systems, just something to be aware of.

Ideally for a HS setup, all your XML's are in the HS/Databases folder structure. Never in the RL folder structure which it may have been looking for if you had the plugin set to RL?

Never set the "Executable" path in HQ for anything ever. We simply point to RL and it does all launching. If you had a path in here at one point, you may want to open "NEC Turbografx-16.ini" in a text editor and make sure it isn't there... even though you may have deleted it in the HQ UI just to be sure. Only reason to put anything in these HQ spots is because you want to use the "roms only" filter. Otherwise everything can be left blank. Sounds like you are looking for 100% green audit so... you are not really filtering anything anyway. All the real rompaths are set in RLUI.

What emulator you use might be kind of irrelevant until you sort the above out. You do want to load these games up in the emulators themselves outside of RL/HS first to make sure everything does in fact work. I have no idea what EmuHawk or DiscoHawk are, I don't see modules for them but you can set the path to BizHawk (and all other emulators) here:

RL-emulators.thumb.PNG.156d2b1a115910f9ff56022e3a9de284.PNG

Spawk: - Any progress?
- No sadly no progress, I shut eye 3hrs and went back at it, still at an mexican stand-off with HS/RL and NEC TurboGrafx-16.

Spawk: - Is this a brand new setup? Arcade cab or gamepad type?
- I dream about building an Arcade cabinet and posting the build project here if I am not to embarrassed of it, but I wanted to check if I could install the software first so this is in my main rig so for now it is keyboard and an ancient rumblepad to try padware.
Regarding the Arcade build I have gathered a decent PC, a LCD and I modest budget (nill, haha) I have written a company in the UK about buttons last week, asking prices on sticks and whatever I need for a complete build, waiting for a reply right now. So the Arcade build will be real stick/ball & buttons.
Unfortunately I am a total software dummy.
On the buildside I have this weird hobby and basically when I cant sleep (damaged spine & insomnia due to pain) I fumble stuff together so I think making an Arcade Cabinet could be in my reach. I have some pretty wild ideas, maybe end up with more than one cabinet?!? :) It's nothing breathtaking and I doubt it is to interesting but I'm guilty of stuff like this;

and I hope theres enough hope from those experiences that I possible could put a modest cabinet together with a few bucks, some basic tools and modest knowledge. Sorry if that was to long or to much nfo, but thats the circumstances in reply to your question. So a little keyboard/gamepad and hopefully much stick, balls, lightguns and lotsa buttons! :)

Spawk: -While I am on the subject of "audit green", RL's audit is merely a filename checker, it's no guarantee that a specific game will run properly or anything.
- I did not know about the "green audit" basically being a filename checker and not a guarantee for anything.

Spawk: - I am unclear what exactly you were doing with the merge stuff. Even the highly dated XML on HyperList should match up pretty closely to a current romset except for maybe a couple of spelling mistakes/name changes. Most games should audit green without changing anything at all.
- Sort of, only about 80 games popped up in the audit list. So I moved the greenlit games and created a new .xml with Dons Toolkit, then I used the additional tool for merging the old and the new .xml in to one. (I named it so it  would not overwrite the old one and would pop out and be easy to find on my OS drive.) And suddenly I had something like 327? working games that would start up in RocketLauncher if I just highlighted a title and hit the little Rocket icon/symbol. So the merging stuff was my noobie assumption that was something close to "the way" of real pros here. Dunno if I mocked anything up, I have tried using the original .xmls and the latest corresponding hyperlist download, also a few from ytube dl's such as Austin's asf. But nothing, still searches for an obviously non existing .exe named after the temporarily named .xml I created with Don's Toolkit 😕

Spawk: -Ideally for a HS setup, all your XML's are in the HS/Databases folder structure. Never in the RL folder structure which it may have been looking for if you had the plugin set to RL?
- All my .xml's are in the HyperSpin/Database folder structure, I tried best as I could following the instruction videos here on HS homepage/ytube and not fumble things up to much. I have not put anything except some necessary .ahk's for some systems in RL's corresponding file structure directory.

Spawk: -Never set the "Executable" path in HQ for anything ever. We simply point to RL and it does all launching. If you had a path in here at one point, you may want to open "NEC Turbografx-16.ini" in a text editor and make sure it isn't there... even though you may have deleted it in the HQ UI just to be sure.
- Can I delete the NEC TurboGrafx-16.ini through HyperHQ? I dont see the weird "missing" "# # # BackupOriginal TurboGrafx-16.exe" in the .ini...1155528468_NECTurboGrafx-16_ini.jpg.c868ce7d0f8132b48924330277db1ab8.jpg

Spawk: -Only reason to put anything in these HQ spots is because you want to use the "roms only" filter. Otherwise everything can be left blank. Sounds like you are looking for 100% green audit so... you are not really filtering anything anyway. All the real rompaths are set in RLUI.

What emulator you use might be kind of irrelevant until you sort the above out.

- Toggled both BizHawk/EmuHawk.exe and RetroArch. Still get the weird lack of an .ini named after my temporarily named .xml using Don's Tools.

Spawk: -You do want to load these games up in the emulators themselves outside of RL/HS first to make sure everything does in fact work. I have no idea what EmuHawk or DiscoHawk are, I don't see modules for them but you can set the path to BizHawk (and all other emulators) here:

RL-emulators.thumb.PNG.156d2b1a115910f9ff56022e3a9de284.PNG

Confused Noob: - Yep, I set the paths for respective emulators in this tab (Yours above, mine below)

19976698_BizHawkBizHawk_ahk.thumb.jpg.f5e536dba18370314c6cbe19ec693243.jpg

Confused Noob: - Also the EmuHawk.exe in the BizHawk emulator folder is this stuff,
1440124439_HyperSpinEmulatorsBizHawk2.6EmuHawk_exe.thumb.jpg.769b960fe887e3ce26b221d460faff14.jpg

Confused Noob: - Any ideas my friend? Thanks for staying with me and guiding me through this Spawk, much much appreciated!

Wow those metal sculptures are amazing! Some cool stuff.

At this point I am a confused noob as well because I am not seeing how you are bypassing RL anywhere! All the settings pics you shared look correct. The database stuff really doesn't matter, that just controls what games are displayed. Has nothing to do with launching at all except for checking filenames. Thanks for explaining about adding the "Japanese" games back in, at least I understand now.

Launching from HS should be EXACTLY the same as hitting the rocket icon in RLUI. Is TurboGrafx the first system you are setting up? Like does MAME launch ok or is it bypassing RL as well?

Thank you, I appreciate your kind words mate! :)

Yes I have set up MAME and it launches within RL when I highlight a game and hit the little rocket  icon. However some systems launch in RL and not in HS.
I'm trying to set up all systems listed in "stock" RocketLauncher system meny so they all end up somewhere if I build a cabinet, and I figured I'd set them all up in RL first before I start getting in to the next step with HS/HQ.
I got some launching within RL and the little rocket icon, I have not set up buttons/controls, trying systems on HyperSpin now to respond to your question.
I am wrestling with the below systems and from HS launcher it is with various success;
Atari 2600 - HS Yes
Atari 5200 - HS gives missing roms
Atari 7800 - HS Yes
Atari Lynx - HS Yes
Daphne - HS Various Errors, Daphne has an error, Daphne cannot find "txt" etc
MAME - HS Yes
NEC TurboGrafx-16 - HS Cannot find "# # # BackupOriginal NEC TurboGrafx-16.exe"
Nintendo 64 - HS Yes
Nintendo Entertainment System - HS launches but no sound
Nintendo Game Boy Advance - HS Yes
Nintendo GameCube - HS Yes
Panasonic 3DO - Not started with this one yet
Pinball FX3 - HS Stuck at "Connecting..."
Sega 32X - HS Yes
Sega CD - HS Cannot open 7z for Sega CD RetroArch can only open Cue Bin and ISO for Sega CD
Sega DreamCast - HS Your LibRetro_DCAST dll is set to reicast_libretro but could not locate this file: X:\HyperSpin\Emulators\RetroArch\cores\reicast_libretro.dll
Sega Game Gear - Cannot find Rom with gg (asf) extension, gg is the extension of the roms and is listed so I dunno why it says this?
Sega Genesis - HS Yes
Sega Master System - HS Cannot find Roms in any folder provided
Sega Model 2 - Not found and set up the correct emulator
Sinclair ZX Spectrum - HS Yes
SNK Neo Geo - Not started on this one
SNK Neo Geo Pocket Color - Not started on this one
Sony Playstation - HS missing roms
Super Nintendo Entertainment System - Cannot find Roms
ZX Spectrum - HS Yes, this is a parallell install to the same Sinclair ZX Spectrum, both working

Thats pretty much where I'm at, notice that they seem to launch in HS but I have not set up buttons to hit the start button when they seemingly launch so with reservations... to sum it up there are some error messages that confuses me like the LibRetro_DCAST dll set to blabla, and Connecting... and why the gg games are not recognized... *sigh* My single braincell is put on cue with all the stuff in need of fixing.

Wow what a mess...

2 hours ago, Silverbullit said:

I'm trying to set up all systems listed in "stock" RocketLauncher system meny so they all end up somewhere if I build a cabinet, and I figured I'd set them all up in RL first before I start getting in to the next step with HS/HQ.

This might be part of your problem. I tried to mention it earlier, but once you connect HS and RL properly, it reads all databases from the HS folder structure.

I am going to PM you.

Oh you think thats where I messed up? I actually did this due to watching ytube tutorials and one guy underlined it was important to have everything running in RocketLauncher before you even started thinking of messing with HQ if you wanted everything running properly. Guess that was off then? I look forward to your PM Spawk, I am curious if theres any rescuing this mess 😕 I cant believe your patience mate but I appreciate it!

You do want games running through RL before expecting them to run in HS but the very first thing you should do is connect HS/RL including setting the “default plugin” to Hyperspin. You had it on RLUI which reads databases from it’s own folder structure. Technically this is fine, there is often more than one way to do things in these types of setups. It’s just easier to set it to the proper plugin and use HS databases and be able to add systems right in HQ.

Anyway PM still coming, I am slow typer!
:)

Archived