The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

How you like to keep your games organized...

Cryofax

I noticed people have a lot of different styles for organizing their hyperspin setups. Some put an emphasis on old computers, others on consoles, some on specific console regions, and still others just like everything in one giant melting pot. I'm curious how people like to keep their collections partitioned (if at all) and the reasons for it.

Me? I'm a bit OCD probably lol. I have 3 setups, one machine under the TV strictly for North American consoles and all their releases (no handhelds, or hacks). From Generation 2 up through Generation 7 (though no Gamecube or Wii just yet since I have a modded one that works great atm). I keep a second setup for old computers (C-64, Atari 800 etc) that is actually on my PC (where it belongs dammit! lol). And lastly I'm doing an arcade cab that has only arcade games that can be used with the controls I'm implementing (WIP!).

I may have to do a fourth one for my Android tablet (not hyperspin obviously) that only does handhelds lol.

Sounds like you have everything setup right for you. All mine are on one quite powerful PC with most Roms in one place, but some of the bigger sets on other hard drives, the PC is also connected to a projector; so it's an all round entertainment room. Hyperspin has it's own 120gb SSD drive.

I like, applause and encourage when individuals take their own route because it's how they really wanted the thing to be, as I did for example.

I set up only the best games (generously picked) from the main console systems (handheld and desktop) on their best version system, so nintendo, sony, sega... and in PAL when they not represent a downgrade, which ultimately means most of the roms are NTSC-U, except for the recent systems with PAL60 (GC, PS2...) and some heavy on text old games I decided to keep on my mother tongue.

I also gave special importance to Arcade systems (MAME, Model2, Model3, Naomi, Atomiswave, Triforce, Namco, Gaelco, Hikaru, Zinc)

Which all this means is I did a great job of not only stripping XML databases but also changing the names to PAL, or to the romset original naming convention (like no-intro, or redump) which is how I like to keep my rom names. Unlike the official HyperSpin databases I do include great Japanese games too (translated when there are patches).

For now everything is inside a 3rd HDD, it weights about 230Gb. Inside my recently built computer which serves as a desktop PC and HTPC.

I have everything from mame to ps2 and dreamcast. Honestly I keep my computer os on its own ssd drive and run two 4 tb drives for HS storage. might as well splurge as hd's have gotten quite affordable.....having a couple big drives gets rid of a lot of guess work and searching/ redirecting.

However I have given thought to building a low end machine that just has classic arcade games (mame etc.) Which I could place all on one hd and use a simple front end and an old p4 to run quite easily.

Archived