Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

A Noob Inquires: Truth about video cards

flatus

I currently have a build with win7 dual core 2.6+ gtx9800 that is running a 1080p display with minimal issues.

My question: how much of a difference does it make in regards to the quality of the image to upgrade to say ... a invidia 660?

Specifically, since I am already running at 1080p besides the boost in frame rate (smoother gameplay will be nice) will it render the table in a better quality image? Will the edges be smoother (like wire frames and edges of playfield plastics)?

I don't want to have buyers remorse about a new graphic card but I also am reluctant to build a nice cabinet if my current image quality is as good as it gets as I will be putting my cabinet next to my real pins.

Thanks as always!

Last year I moved from a 9800gtx+ to a 600gtx

A gtx660 is, more or less, 2x than a 9800gtx. Didn't make specific tests for fp/vp but the 660 does really shine while using antialiasing and ambient occlusion. At 1080p with ambient occlusion and antialiasing activated a gtx660 is almost 4x faster than a 9800gtx. 1080p is a bit too much for a 9800gtx but, as said, I didn't make specific tests besides running zen pinball at downsampled 1080p on a 1360*768 screen.

Consider that a gtx660 will be cpu limited with a 2.6ghz c2d so framerate increase will not be terrific. Image quality will improve as you can use better antialiasing and downsampling without framerate loss. With downsampling you'll render at higher resolution and videocards will adapt the image to your resolution. This smooths out jaggies and also improve colors.

Honestly... a better videocard will helps but you should also change mobo/cpu/ram. FP with zed physics is freaking demanding...

Thank you so much! Anyone find a "sweet spot" whereby the throughput of the cpu/gpu/ram etc is optimum without a significant bottleneck and not killer on my bank acct? Also, when I upgrade I will be thinkjng of going to windows 7 64 bit .... or should I go with 8? I do not like windows 8 particularly.

In regards to cpu ... advantages of i3 vs 5 vs 7? Optimum memory size? So many variables!

As far as I know FP/VP does not multithread so probably the best bang for bucks is a Pentium K Anniversary G3258 with a z97 motherboard and a good heatsink to overclock it. 4gb may be enough but I'd go with 8gb as it does not cost that much and probably ddr3 price will tends to rise as it is getting replaced with ddr4.

For pinballFx2/pinball arcade... well, my pentium4 3ghz is already enough :D

Archived