Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

A couple hardware questions related to Hyperspin

Edgecrusher

I am currently throwing around a few ideas for a emulation box build, I decided to use Hyperspin to be the front end for the emulation. My questions are if I were to use emulators for Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, N64, Sega Genesis, 32X, CD, Saturn, and PS1, including boxart, wheelart, and gameplay videos about how big of a HDD would you recommend? Is it possible for Hyperspin to read iso files from a disc drive? For example, let's say I have 10 PS1 games on my HDD, and I want to play a game I have a backup copy of on a disc, could I select the game from the wheel, then play it from the disc?

I am currently throwing around a few ideas for a emulation box build, I decided to use Hyperspin to be the front end for the emulation.

Hi! Good choice! ;)

My questions are if I were to use emulators for Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Game Boy, GBA, N64, Sega Genesis, 32X, CD, Saturn, and PS1, including boxart, wheelart, and gameplay videos about how big of a HDD would you recommend?

My setup is not 100% complete, but I have most of the art for those systems and it is taking about 32gb. That's not including the roms.

Is it possible for Hyperspin to read iso files from a disc drive? For example, let's say I have 10 PS1 games on my HDD, and I want to play a game I have a backup copy of on a disc, could I select the game from the wheel, then play it from the disc?

That is an interesting concept. Way back, I edited a MAMEWah (front end) script to have a "Boot From CD" entry in my game list. I think this can be done two ways, but would require some heavy module editing. So, what emulator are you trying to use (PS1) and would you like to have a "Boot From CD" option or have an option to set a specific game to boot from CD?

Thanks,

Ron

I was looking at the supported file formats of the emulators I want to use and they all seem to support compressed file formats. So I think I should be able to use a 2TB hdd and be just fine. Just the emulators will launch slower since the files are compressed, but in the name of hard drive space it's a necessary sacrifice.

Also since I am building my emulation box out of a broken Sega Saturn case the idea of an optical drive has been scrapped, since it would require more modding than I am willing to do to get it fit and be fully functional.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2

I was looking at the supported file formats of the emulators I want to use and they all seem to support compressed file formats. So I think I should be able to use a 2TB hdd and be just fine. Just the emulators will launch slower since the files are compressed, but in the name of hard drive space it's a necessary sacrifice.

Also since I am building my emulation box out of a broken Sega Saturn case the idea of an optical drive has been scrapped, since it would require more modding than I am willing to do to get it fit and be fully functional.

Sent from my LGL75C using Tapatalk 2

You'll save HDD space at the expense of some excruciatingly painful longgggggggg load times. Honestly, I don't know if it is at all worth it. You will only play a few titles at a time. No need to have the entire set available in your wheel at all times. My suggestion, either limit the amount of ISO's that you have saved at any one time on your emulation box and store the compressed files on a NAS or external HDD and copy them over (uncompressed) as you need/want to play them, or get a bigger HDD. But yeah, make that decision after you get a taste of how long it takes to start a game by testing in HyperLaunchHQ in compressed format.

Pics of the Sega Saturn emu box when you are done please.

I have a 2TB internal drive that has Windows 7 on it, a bunch of PC games installed. Every system fully set up in hyperspin with videos/wheel art except ps1, Gamecube, and dreamcast. For those systems I only have like 10-15 games that I like. All of that and I still have 775GB free on my HD.

Archived