The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

atari HS setup tutorials

jamaster14

can anyone point me to any tutorials for setting up atari emulators? I've tried getting 5200/7800 working with mess and some others but have been very unsusccessful. there were a couple threads here with links to the tuturials but the links were dead.

Dont really care which emulator it is, just want to get those working one way or another

I use mess for both those. What issue are you having?

Make sure you have the bios files for both systems. What do you get when you launch a game inside of mess?

when i launch mess it just says "check mess.ini" and i searched my system but i have no mess.ini file. ive never had luck with the non-gui versions of MAME or MESS. for MAME i just grabbed the preconfigured one off the FTP site placed it in the right directory and it worked but for mess it didnt work that way.

I tried setting up mess then via messui, but ran into more issues. i pointed it to my roms directory but it couldnt find any roms. i also download the bios for the atari 5200 but it says it cant find it. the youtube videos people have seem nothing like anything i download even when using their links(im assuming the video is out of date) and unfortunetly i cant find any step by step guides on installing mess.

im hoping to find any tutorial anywhere on an atari emulator.

my issue seems to be that all the mess tutorials i find are very old, and doesnt match up with newer versions of mess. all the tutorials ive found reference putting the bios in the mess/Bios folder (which doesnt exsist when i extract mess) or editing mess.ini which also doesnt seem to exsist.

would greatly appreciae any help on this or if you can point me to a decent updated guide :)

Well, I do not have a guide, unfortunately. I do know if you download the official one and extract it, it will make the folders for you. I know you can go to a command prompt and run a mess64.exe -cc to make a default mess.ini so maybe that will help. I do believe all the bios folders go in the roms folder under mess. I have not changed much more than that with mess, generally it is pretty straight forward. Generally I hit tab config controls for the system and that is about it once it fires up. I generally use it for the older systems. I hope that helps.

I would make a new folder and extract the one from mamedev.org into it. Put your a7800.zip and a5200.zip in the roms folder and test again. I believe that is all there is to it. Then you can config HyperlaunchHQ or HyperspinHQ depending on what you are doing. If you get that going plug in what ever special compiled version you want (backup your mess64.exe) and put it in for the default mess64.exe.

Cheers! and good luck!

Well, I do not have a guide, unfortunately. I do know if you download the official one and extract it, it will make the folders for you. I know you can go to a command prompt and run a mess64.exe -cc to make a default mess.ini so maybe that will help. I do believe all the bios folders go in the roms folder under mess. I have not changed much more than that with mess, generally it is pretty straight forward. Generally I hit tab config controls for the system and that is about it once it fires up. I generally use it for the older systems. I hope that helps.

I would make a new folder and extract the one from mamedev.org into it. Put your a7800.zip and a5200.zip in the roms folder and test again. I believe that is all there is to it. Then you can config HyperlaunchHQ or HyperspinHQ depending on what you are doing. If you get that going plug in what ever special compiled version you want (backup your mess64.exe) and put it in for the default mess64.exe.

Cheers! and good luck!

wokred on this all day again today without much luck. running the command line prompt you suggested did create a mess.ini, but editing that as described in the videos i found did not help. nothing ive found has extracted a bios folder and all the tutorial show when they extract there is a bios folder. ive created it manually with no help. ive also placed the bios files in the roms folder in several formats with no help. everything i read and have searched on says its straight forward, which it seems it should be, but i just dont have the same files/directory/results as outlined.... then again as mentioned i cant find a tutorial thats less then a year anda half old which might be the issue.

if anyone would be willing to get on chat and help me set this up outside of HS, id be forever greatful. im etiher missing something simple or just missing something in general. If i do get this working i'll certainly post an updated guide for others, ive seen this asked a ton recently, with few resolutions

Archived