The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Does this PC config suffice?

flyer6

Hello Hypies ;-)

it's me again. Still configuring my bartop-to-be and would like to know if this PC is capable of running everything up to Dreamcast (preferrably in HD), N64, Taito X and Gamecube (also in HD).

CONFIGURATION 1

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 "Ivy Bridge", boxed

Main: ASUS H81I-PLUS Mainboard

GFX: GIGABYTE GV-N750OC-2GI

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power CM L8 530W

RAM: Corsair DIMM 2GB DDR3-1333 (x2... so it's 4GB)

HDD: Samsung HD-M101MBB 1TB 2.5"

Furthermore, can it also be an AMD with something else but a GeForce? How's the support of the emulators? Do they rely on Intel and GeForce or can I also have a good computer with AMD and that stuff?

Thanks in advance :-)

Looks fine, I've seen lesser spec and people have been happy. Not sure if the i3 will enough for Dolphin if you plan to run it, but I'm sure it will be fine.

Which CPU should I use? 
Dolphin is a dual core application that relies upon IPC (Instructions Per Clock) for performance. Additional cores will not make Dolphin go any faster, though an “extra” core that Dolphin isn’t using may help slightly by keeping background tasks from using the same cores as Dolphin.

Intel: Newer Core i5 and i7 processors such as the i5-4670K and i5-3570K are extremely fast and very affordable considering their relative power. The K series allows for overclocking, which can further improve the performance of those CPUs. Core i7 variants yield almost no benefit in IPC over the i5s they are based on, so save the cash if you’re building a Dolphin machine. For laptops, you can rely on the i7-4700MQ and i7-4930MX for the absolute best performance. Most games will run very well on any of those processors.

AMD: Due to very low IPC, AMD CPUs are poor choices for Dolphin. The FX8000 line of processors is the best they have, and even then most of those processors will be around half the speed of the 4670K’s performance with Dolphin.

Note: For more information regarding CPU performance, please checkout this handy benchmark that contains results from tons of users. Just remember that Dolphin is a console emulator: it does what the games instruct it to do. Every game has its own needs and requirements. Some games run well on most modern processors, while some won’t run full speed at all times on even the most powerful of processors.

https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#

Archived